UPDATE: Jim Leyritz acquitted on DUI manslaughter charges

Nov 20, 2010, 1:02 PM EDT

Jim Leyritz

UPDATE: According to Curt Anderson of the Associated Press, Jim Leyritz was acquitted on DUI manslaughter charges for a December 2007 crash that resulted in the death of Fredia Ann Veitch. However, he was convicted on a misdemeanor charge of driving under the influence, which could put him in jail for a maximum sentence of six months.

In other words, he’s incredibly fortunate today. Leyrtiz could have faced up to 15 years in prison if he was convicted for the DUI manslaughter charge. Let’s hope he does something useful with a second chance.

9:30 AM: A quick update on Jim Leyrtiz’s trial.

According to the South Florida Sun Sentinel, after six hours of deliberation on Friday, the jurors in Leyritz’s DUI manslaughter trial said that they were deadlocked.

“We have reached a stalemate. We have completely decided that we cannot reach a decision,” the panel of five men and one woman wrote the judge about 6 p.m. Friday in the second day of deliberations. “How do we proceed?”

Circuit Judge Marc Gold asked the jury to discuss the case further and attempt to reach a unanimous decision. They’ll do so today. If they are unable to reach a verdict, a mistrial will be declared. According to the Associated Press, prosecutors say there would be a second trial, which hopefully won’t take another three years.

In December of 2007, Leyritz allegedly drove drunk and ran a red light when he hit a vehicle driven by Fredia Ann Veitch, who was killed. The former Yankee faces between four and 15 years in prison if convicted.

1. Old Gator - Nov 20, 2010 at 11:51 AM

The local radio stations and fishwrappers have had a kind of deathwatch going for the Leyritz verdict. Folks sitting around their old wood-console RCA radios waiting for the blade to drop. Show them my toupee, it will be worth it, and all that. That’s too morbid for me. I think I’ll just head down to the reptile store in Macondo Sur and pick up some mice to feed Friendo and my monitor lizards instead.

• yankeesfanlen - Nov 20, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Hey, I have an old wood console RCA that doesn’t even pick up John & Suzyn anymore!
      Leyritz must have gotten a high-priced lawyer from DAMM (Drunks Against Mad Mothers) to spring him. Either that, or the jury had to go home and feed their reptiles.

2. jfk69 - Nov 20, 2010 at 2:35 PM

I am terribly sorry for the loss of the other drivers life. That being said…She was drunk as well and had a BAC as high if not higher than the waste of life Leyrritz has become. If i sat on that jury i could not convict Leyritz knowing full well she helped contribute to her own demise by drinking and driving.
    LEYRITZ…GROW UP…YOU GOT REAL LUCKY THIS TIME!

3. pisano - Nov 20, 2010 at 2:44 PM

That’s one lucky SOB , he must have paid a bundle for the lawyer that represented him . I hope he isn’t another OJ , meaning he got lucky this time , but next time he might not be so lucky . Live and learn.

4. obamablowz - Nov 20, 2010 at 2:55 PM

I’ve had a few friends die from drunk drivers so for a drunk driver to kill another drunk…..ITS A PUSH!!!!!! They made such a story about a mother of two, but a mother of two should have been home after work, not boozing it up

5. cincyflash15 - Nov 20, 2010 at 3:44 PM

I personally do not see how a jury could not come back with anything except a not guilty verdict. I’ve watched the entire case on television and it was a total farce on the prosecution’s part. I believe that Ms. Veitch was driving and I am in no way condemning her but what was she doing going home with another man when her husband was home with the children? She as well was intoxicated, speeding and I believe that she was the one who ran the red light, didn’t have headlights on and was reading texts from her husband and getting up calls from him, therefore, not paying attention to the road. I do feel Mr. Leyritz is innocent.

6. Old Gator - Nov 20, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Leyritz got nailed for driving drunk anyway, which he was. This seems fair enough. Too bad about her kids and her husband, though. On top of losing her, they had to suffer through all of that awful publicity. I do hope Leyritz does do the time.

7. cincyflash15 - Nov 20, 2010 at 4:38 PM

What about his children that he had sole custody of and he was no drunker than she was. She was on the way home with another man, with divorce papers in her car. Do not get me wrong, I’m sorry she got killed in a senseless car accident, however; he did not kill her. Did you not hear her husband was texting her repeatedly and calling her and hanging up several times. Also, her speed was between 38 mph and 51 mph at the time of the crash? They were both at fault and her bac was as high or higher than Mr. Leyritz and I believe he feels remorse everyday. I think blame needs to go where it belongs and it goes on both parties here not just one. Obviously, you didn’t watch the case everyday as I did. I know you have your opinion and I do too. However, the prosecution did not make there case without a reasonable doubt.

8. Jonny 5 - Nov 20, 2010 at 7:33 PM

This is some serious BS. Our judicial system is totally effed. He killed someone running a red light while drunk. I don’t care how drunk the other driver was, it could have been a single mother of 4 with the kids in the car he hit instead. Lucky A- hole.

9. obamablowz - Nov 20, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Jonny 5; why would a single mother of 4 be leaving a bar after midnight?

• jaokguy - Nov 21, 2010 at 12:00 AM

exactly, you took the words right out of my mouth….can u say hobag.

• cincyflash15 - Nov 21, 2010 at 3:29 PM

exactly and it makes no sense that a single mother of four would be leaving a bar with her children in the car. that’s just ignorance. and again, her bac was just high as Mr. Leyritz so lets not blame just one person. lets leave out the fact that he had once played major league baseball (I don’t feel that should be a factor).

• Jonny 5 - Nov 22, 2010 at 7:24 AM

I wasn’t aware that the dead woman was on trial here. And the last time I checked it isn’t against the law to go to bars when you’re a mother of 4, even a single mother.. Gasp!!! Only a bunch of idiots would bring this up. Imagine if she was transporting her children after leaving her mothers house? Leyritz doing nothing different would still be on trial for manslaughter, possibly even multiple counts. He’s very lucky that this country contains enough morons that his chances of getting off are better because “she was a single mother of 4 leaving a bar at 11″ or a “hobag”. Had she just been at the wrong place at the wrong time without drinking the verdict should be exactly the same.

10. cincyflash15 - Nov 21, 2010 at 3:34 PM

The more I think about it, the more I do not believe he should even have to do six months. Who is going to take care of his children? Or does anyone even care about his children? This will take that much longer for him to start paying the $1000. a month to the family of Ms. Veitch as well. If they feel he has a problem make him go to out patient rehab so he can work, even though he has not had a drink in at least two years. He is one man that has shown remorse in court and I for one do not believe it was for show or fake. There has to be forgiveness in our hearts or there are going to be a lot of old bitter people out there.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 22, 2010 at 7:28 AM

Yeah, cause having children should automatically exempt you from doing time for killing someone. Always… I wish I could roll my eyes through text right now.. Or did I just do it?

Three legends off to Cooperstown