Nov 20, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
During an appearance on “Marlins Insider,” a weekly radio show on 790 The Ticket in Miami, Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez said that he met with free agent right-hander Javier Vazquez today.
Courtesy of Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post:
“He’s from my hometown in Ponce. I’ve know him well since he was 14, 15 years old. He’s very confident about the whole situation. He told me where’s hes at right now. Hopefully we can get him and put him in that rotation. If we have a chance to sign him he’s gonna be a great acquisition.”
Vazquez has reportedly told associates that he would love to return to the National League and sees a good fit with Florida, which is in close proximity to his home in Puerto Rico. The only problem? Capozzi writes that Vazquez is seeking a three-year contract worth $33 million. Seriously. Good luck with that one.
On a related note, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported earlier this week that the Marlins only have $4-5 million left in their offseason budget after signing John Buck. Vazquez’s past with Rodriguez shouldn’t be overlooked, but if money is truly his first priority, he’ll be pitching elsewhere next season.
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 21
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 38
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 21
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 32
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)