Nov 20, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
During an appearance on “Marlins Insider,” a weekly radio show on 790 The Ticket in Miami, Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez said that he met with free agent right-hander Javier Vazquez today.
Courtesy of Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post:
“He’s from my hometown in Ponce. I’ve know him well since he was 14, 15 years old. He’s very confident about the whole situation. He told me where’s hes at right now. Hopefully we can get him and put him in that rotation. If we have a chance to sign him he’s gonna be a great acquisition.”
Vazquez has reportedly told associates that he would love to return to the National League and sees a good fit with Florida, which is in close proximity to his home in Puerto Rico. The only problem? Capozzi writes that Vazquez is seeking a three-year contract worth $33 million. Seriously. Good luck with that one.
On a related note, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported earlier this week that the Marlins only have $4-5 million left in their offseason budget after signing John Buck. Vazquez’s past with Rodriguez shouldn’t be overlooked, but if money is truly his first priority, he’ll be pitching elsewhere next season.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 3
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 13
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 15
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)