Nov 20, 2010, 5:45 PM EST
During an appearance on “Marlins Insider,” a weekly radio show on 790 The Ticket in Miami, Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez said that he met with free agent right-hander Javier Vazquez today.
Courtesy of Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post:
“He’s from my hometown in Ponce. I’ve know him well since he was 14, 15 years old. He’s very confident about the whole situation. He told me where’s hes at right now. Hopefully we can get him and put him in that rotation. If we have a chance to sign him he’s gonna be a great acquisition.”
Vazquez has reportedly told associates that he would love to return to the National League and sees a good fit with Florida, which is in close proximity to his home in Puerto Rico. The only problem? Capozzi writes that Vazquez is seeking a three-year contract worth $33 million. Seriously. Good luck with that one.
On a related note, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported earlier this week that the Marlins only have $4-5 million left in their offseason budget after signing John Buck. Vazquez’s past with Rodriguez shouldn’t be overlooked, but if money is truly his first priority, he’ll be pitching elsewhere next season.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 10
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 71
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 140
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (140)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)