Nov 20, 2010, 4:40 PM EDT
With a pretty slow day news-wise, I figured now was as good a time as any to check in on everyone’s favorite punching bag, Oliver Perez.
Last we left the erratic left-hander, he intended to pitch for Culiacan of the Mexican Winter League in order to shake the rust after essentially rotting away in the Mets’ bullpen for most of the season. Well, let’s just say that he isn’t having much success south of the border. Courtesy of Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Perez has a 9.00 ERA and .350 batting average against in five innings over his first five appearances with the club.
I would usually give someone the benefit of the doubt with such a small sample size, but this is Oliver Perez we’re talking about here.
Mets COO Jeff Wilpon indicated in October that he would be willing to eat the $12 million left on Perez’s contract for next season if he didn’t show some improvement in Mexico, so with the chances of new Mets GM Sandy Alderson finding a trade somewhere between slim and none, they should probably just go ahead and do it already. I would be completely floored — and as a Mets fan, severely disappointed — if he is still on the team next season.
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 7
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 36
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 31
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)