Nov 20, 2010, 4:40 PM EDT
With a pretty slow day news-wise, I figured now was as good a time as any to check in on everyone’s favorite punching bag, Oliver Perez.
Last we left the erratic left-hander, he intended to pitch for Culiacan of the Mexican Winter League in order to shake the rust after essentially rotting away in the Mets’ bullpen for most of the season. Well, let’s just say that he isn’t having much success south of the border. Courtesy of Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Perez has a 9.00 ERA and .350 batting average against in five innings over his first five appearances with the club.
I would usually give someone the benefit of the doubt with such a small sample size, but this is Oliver Perez we’re talking about here.
Mets COO Jeff Wilpon indicated in October that he would be willing to eat the $12 million left on Perez’s contract for next season if he didn’t show some improvement in Mexico, so with the chances of new Mets GM Sandy Alderson finding a trade somewhere between slim and none, they should probably just go ahead and do it already. I would be completely floored — and as a Mets fan, severely disappointed — if he is still on the team next season.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)