Nov 20, 2010, 4:40 PM EDT
With a pretty slow day news-wise, I figured now was as good a time as any to check in on everyone’s favorite punching bag, Oliver Perez.
Last we left the erratic left-hander, he intended to pitch for Culiacan of the Mexican Winter League in order to shake the rust after essentially rotting away in the Mets’ bullpen for most of the season. Well, let’s just say that he isn’t having much success south of the border. Courtesy of Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Perez has a 9.00 ERA and .350 batting average against in five innings over his first five appearances with the club.
I would usually give someone the benefit of the doubt with such a small sample size, but this is Oliver Perez we’re talking about here.
Mets COO Jeff Wilpon indicated in October that he would be willing to eat the $12 million left on Perez’s contract for next season if he didn’t show some improvement in Mexico, so with the chances of new Mets GM Sandy Alderson finding a trade somewhere between slim and none, they should probably just go ahead and do it already. I would be completely floored — and as a Mets fan, severely disappointed — if he is still on the team next season.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 14
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 54
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 52
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 46
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)