Nov 20, 2010, 4:40 PM EDT
With a pretty slow day news-wise, I figured now was as good a time as any to check in on everyone’s favorite punching bag, Oliver Perez.
Last we left the erratic left-hander, he intended to pitch for Culiacan of the Mexican Winter League in order to shake the rust after essentially rotting away in the Mets’ bullpen for most of the season. Well, let’s just say that he isn’t having much success south of the border. Courtesy of Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Perez has a 9.00 ERA and .350 batting average against in five innings over his first five appearances with the club.
I would usually give someone the benefit of the doubt with such a small sample size, but this is Oliver Perez we’re talking about here.
Mets COO Jeff Wilpon indicated in October that he would be willing to eat the $12 million left on Perez’s contract for next season if he didn’t show some improvement in Mexico, so with the chances of new Mets GM Sandy Alderson finding a trade somewhere between slim and none, they should probably just go ahead and do it already. I would be completely floored — and as a Mets fan, severely disappointed — if he is still on the team next season.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 46
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 98
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (98)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)