Nov 20, 2010, 4:40 PM EDT
With a pretty slow day news-wise, I figured now was as good a time as any to check in on everyone’s favorite punching bag, Oliver Perez.
Last we left the erratic left-hander, he intended to pitch for Culiacan of the Mexican Winter League in order to shake the rust after essentially rotting away in the Mets’ bullpen for most of the season. Well, let’s just say that he isn’t having much success south of the border. Courtesy of Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Perez has a 9.00 ERA and .350 batting average against in five innings over his first five appearances with the club.
I would usually give someone the benefit of the doubt with such a small sample size, but this is Oliver Perez we’re talking about here.
Mets COO Jeff Wilpon indicated in October that he would be willing to eat the $12 million left on Perez’s contract for next season if he didn’t show some improvement in Mexico, so with the chances of new Mets GM Sandy Alderson finding a trade somewhere between slim and none, they should probably just go ahead and do it already. I would be completely floored — and as a Mets fan, severely disappointed — if he is still on the team next season.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 4
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 19
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 37
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (186)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)