Nov 20, 2010, 11:15 AM EDT
Remember back in September when we heard that the Red Sox offered Victor Martinez a two-year contract extension?
Even then we knew it wouldn’t get the job done, but now Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe has the specifics. He reports that the BoSox offered him $21 million over the two years. It’s unclear if they expanded their offer since then.
Martinez is one of the most coveted free agents available this winter, so they’ll almost certainly need to do so if they hope to have any chance of keeping him. Cafardo writes that the Tigers and Rangers “have been the most interested,” but that the Mariners and Orioles are also in the mix.
All hypothetical, of course, but if given the choice to keep either Adrian Beltre or Martinez, I’d go with Beltre. Martinez turns 32 years old in December and has never been particularly good behind the plate. His offensive production looks great for a catcher, but less so as a DH or first baseman, where he’ll likely spend more time as he reaches his mid-30s. I would be very nervous if Jarrod Saltalamacchia opened the season as the team’s primary catcher, but the Red Sox could add an inexpensive veteran in the free agent market and still have the option to upgrade during the season.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)