Nov 20, 2010, 11:15 AM EDT
Remember back in September when we heard that the Red Sox offered Victor Martinez a two-year contract extension?
Even then we knew it wouldn’t get the job done, but now Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe has the specifics. He reports that the BoSox offered him $21 million over the two years. It’s unclear if they expanded their offer since then.
Martinez is one of the most coveted free agents available this winter, so they’ll almost certainly need to do so if they hope to have any chance of keeping him. Cafardo writes that the Tigers and Rangers “have been the most interested,” but that the Mariners and Orioles are also in the mix.
All hypothetical, of course, but if given the choice to keep either Adrian Beltre or Martinez, I’d go with Beltre. Martinez turns 32 years old in December and has never been particularly good behind the plate. His offensive production looks great for a catcher, but less so as a DH or first baseman, where he’ll likely spend more time as he reaches his mid-30s. I would be very nervous if Jarrod Saltalamacchia opened the season as the team’s primary catcher, but the Red Sox could add an inexpensive veteran in the free agent market and still have the option to upgrade during the season.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 55
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)