Nov 20, 2010, 11:15 AM EST
Remember back in September when we heard that the Red Sox offered Victor Martinez a two-year contract extension?
Even then we knew it wouldn’t get the job done, but now Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe has the specifics. He reports that the BoSox offered him $21 million over the two years. It’s unclear if they expanded their offer since then.
Martinez is one of the most coveted free agents available this winter, so they’ll almost certainly need to do so if they hope to have any chance of keeping him. Cafardo writes that the Tigers and Rangers “have been the most interested,” but that the Mariners and Orioles are also in the mix.
All hypothetical, of course, but if given the choice to keep either Adrian Beltre or Martinez, I’d go with Beltre. Martinez turns 32 years old in December and has never been particularly good behind the plate. His offensive production looks great for a catcher, but less so as a DH or first baseman, where he’ll likely spend more time as he reaches his mid-30s. I would be very nervous if Jarrod Saltalamacchia opened the season as the team’s primary catcher, but the Red Sox could add an inexpensive veteran in the free agent market and still have the option to upgrade during the season.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 6
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 51
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 41
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)