Nov 21, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
More from the Boston Globe’s Nick Cafardo.
The Yankees and Rangers are locked in a battle for left-hander Cliff Lee, this offseason’s top free agent. And it sounds like the Yanks may strike first with an offer.
Cafardo reports that Brian Cashman and Co. are preparing a proposal worth around $115 million-$120 million over five years. The Rangers plan to match that and the numbers will go up from there. Cafardo says that the Nationals are also in the hunt and have been “aggressive” thus far, but this feels like a two-team race.
Lee, 32, registered a 3.18 ERA and 1.00 WHIP over 28 starts for the AL Champion Rangers this year, fanning 185 batters while walking only 18. There was a report in mid-November that Lee dislikes the Texas heat. And then there was that issue with Yankees fans harassing Lee’s wife during the ALCS. Believe what you want, but we’re thinking he’s simply going to chase the most lucrative deal.
For reference, CC Sabathia landed a seven-year, $161 million deal from the Yanks two offseasons ago.
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 2
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 37
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)