Nov 21, 2010, 12:53 PM EDT
No writer packs more valuable information into a Sunday notes column like the Boston Globe’s Nick Cafardo. He’s at it again today with details on a variety of big time free agent and trade options. Let’s review:
- Though he’s unlikely to be moved this winter or even next summer, so far the White Sox, Cubs, Orioles, Nationals and Red Sox have shown trade interest in San Diego first baseman Adrian Gonzalez. The 28-year-old hit .298/.393/.511 with 31 homers in 2010 and is entering the final year of his tenure with the Padres.
- Diamondbacks outfielder Justin Upton has been dangled on the trade market this winter and is drawing interest from the the Mariners, Blue Jays, Marlins, Red Sox and Royals. It’s going to take a serious package of prospects to lure him away from Arizona’s grasp, but enough clubs are intrigued and it’s quite possible that he is moved this offseason.
- The Dodgers have a bunch of holes to fill this winter but are seeking one major thing: leadership. That could come in the form of veterans like Juan Uribe, Johnny Damon and A.J. Pierzynski.
- Brewers GM Doug Melvin has set a deadline for extension talks with first baseman Prince Fielder. If talks don’t progress by the end of spring training, the big man is likely to be on the trade market next summer.
- Rays shortstop Jason Bartlett is drawing trade interest from the Giants, Orioles and Nationals. Bartlett was a disappointment in 2010, and Tampa is prepared to go with Reid Brignac at short.
- The Angels have already engaged in serious talks with free agent outfielder Carl Crawford and appear to be the front-runner for his services. He’s thought to be seeking a contract worth north of $100 million.
- The Brewers and Nationals are moving “swiftly” on free agent starter Carl Pavano. He registered a 3.75 ERA and 1.19 WHIP over 32 starts this year for the Twins.
- Three teams are interested in signing Mark Prior, but he’s not totally set on a comeback. That decision should come soon.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)