Nov 21, 2010, 5:12 PM EDT
The search is over. The pick is in.
According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, the Mets are set to introduce Terry Collins as the franchise’s 20th manager.
Collins, 61, played professional baseball for 10 years and compiled a .255 career batting average over 671 major league games before turning to the coaching and front office side of the industry. He began his managing career in 1981 with a Single-A affiliate tied to the Dodgers and was promoted a few years later to Triple-A Albuquerque. Success at that post led him to the Astros’ managerial gig in 1993. He lasted only three years, but never had a losing record and led the team to three straight second-place finishes before being fired in 1996.
The Angels quickly scooped Collins up in 1997 and enjoyed a short run of success, but Collins resigned with 29 games left in the 1999 season and tried his hand in Japan during the middle part of the 2000s.
Collins has been everywhere and done everything in the game of baseball. He’s known best for player development and that’s exactly what the Mets need as they look to revamp their major league roster and farm system.
Four candidates were interviewed for the opening down at the GM Meetings in Orlando, Florida last week: Collins, Bob Melvin, Wally Backman and Chip Hale.
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal was the first to report that Melvin did not get the gig and the other two were basically thought of as secondary options from the start.
UPDATE: SI.com’s Jon Heyman says Collins will get a two-year contract.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 35
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 53
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 90
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (90)