Nov 21, 2010, 6:05 PM EST
When Red Sox prospect Ryan Westmoreland was diagnosed in March with a cavernous malformation in his brain, some medical specialists thought it might put an end to his baseball career. Not so.
Westmoreland had surgery to repair the problem and is now taking batting practice two or three times a week, according to Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal. He was invited to stand on the sidelines at Sunday’s Colts vs. Patriots game and appeared to be in good spirits. If the progress continues, it’s possible that he will be an active regular at spring training next year.
“We’re just seeing how it plays out right now,” he said Sunday. “If something happens where I can play next year, that would be great. But we’re not looking forward like that. We’re just taking it day by day, seeing how things progress. If it’s meant to be, it’s going to happen. But I’m ready to wait. If patience is what it takes, I’m ready for it.”
Westmoreland is planning to spend his winter at the Red Sox’s spring training complex in Fort Myers, Florida, where he can work out and get regular checkups from the club’s medical staff. The 20-year-old outfielder batted .296/.401/.484 with seven home runs and 19 stolen bases in 60 games for Single-A Lowell in 2009. He obviously took the 2010 season off.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)