Nov 22, 2010, 9:37 PM EDT
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports is reporting that the Yankees, already in a public free agent battle with shortstop Derek Jeter, are now at odds with Mariano Rivera about a contract for next season.
Rivera wants a two-year deal worth around $18 million per season but the Yanks only want to give him a one-year pact.
First reaction? The Steinbrenner kids are serious about running the club like a business and not spending wildly like the pinstriped teams of the past. They’re really going to play hardball with the old timers.
Second reaction? Rivera won’t be treated like Jeter, because Mo is still a highly effective player and worth a little outlandish cash for a couple of final seasons. The 40-year-old closer turned in a 1.80 ERA and 0.83 WHIP this past year while holding opposing hitters to a .187 batting average. Jeter, meanwhile, registered a career-worst .270/.340/.370 batting line and showed poor range at the shortstop position.
The Yankees’ three-year, $45 million offer to Jeter is a generous one. I think we all need to be reminded of that.
Brian Cashman and Co. will concede on Rivera — probably not at a total of cost of $36 million, but they’ll concede. They shouldn’t on Jeter.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)