Nov 22, 2010, 3:46 PM EDT
Once upon a time Brandon McCarthy was considered a top pitching prospect and in December of 2006 the White Sox traded him to the Rangers for John Danks and Nick Masset.
That trade didn’t exactly work out well for Texas, in part because of Danks’ emergence as one of the league’s best southpaws and in part because McCarthy’s career has been wrecked by injuries.
He didn’t pitch in the majors at all this season and was limited to just 56 innings at Triple-A because of a stress fracture in his shoulder, but McCarthy pitched well in the minors when healthy, has a 1.96 ERA in four Dominican winter league starts, and is still just 27 years old despite seemingly being around (and more often than not on the disabled list) forever.
Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that McCarthy “has been scouted heavily in recent weeks” by a number of teams, including the Astros, Diamondbacks, Brewers, Padres, Mariners, Tigers, and A’s. Even setting aside his injury history McCarthy often struggled in Texas and Chicago because he’s an extreme fly-ball pitcher and both of those ballparks boost power hitting. San Diego, Seattle, and Oakland would be good fits for him in terms of limiting his weaknesses.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)