Nov 22, 2010, 9:11 PM EDT
Dana Eveland posted a 4.34 ERA and 1.48 WHIP in 29 starts for the A’s in 2008 as a 24-year-old. He wasn’t dominant, striking out only 118 batters in 168 innings while walking 77, but he looked like a youngster with a promising future as a No. 4 or No. 5 starter.
That changed in 2009, when he allowed 39 runs in 44 innings for Oakland and finished with a 7.16 ERA and 2.18 WHIP. He was shipped to the Blue Jays in February of 2010 for a player to be named later, then designated for assignment three months later and picked up by the ever-desperate Pirates.
Eveland finished the year with a 6.79 ERA and 1.91 WHIP over 54.1 total frames. He was moved off the Bucs’ 40-man roster last week and seemed unlikely to score a quick free agent contract this winter.
It’s good to be young.
According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Eveland, now 27, inked a split contract with the Dodgers on Monday night. He’ll be paid a certain amount in the minors and more if he reaches the big leagues.
With his past starting experience, the right-hander will likely be shooting for a spot in the Dodgers’ bullpen as a long reliever.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 305
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 39
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (303)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)