Nov 22, 2010, 9:11 PM EST
Dana Eveland posted a 4.34 ERA and 1.48 WHIP in 29 starts for the A’s in 2008 as a 24-year-old. He wasn’t dominant, striking out only 118 batters in 168 innings while walking 77, but he looked like a youngster with a promising future as a No. 4 or No. 5 starter.
That changed in 2009, when he allowed 39 runs in 44 innings for Oakland and finished with a 7.16 ERA and 2.18 WHIP. He was shipped to the Blue Jays in February of 2010 for a player to be named later, then designated for assignment three months later and picked up by the ever-desperate Pirates.
Eveland finished the year with a 6.79 ERA and 1.91 WHIP over 54.1 total frames. He was moved off the Bucs’ 40-man roster last week and seemed unlikely to score a quick free agent contract this winter.
It’s good to be young.
According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Eveland, now 27, inked a split contract with the Dodgers on Monday night. He’ll be paid a certain amount in the minors and more if he reaches the big leagues.
With his past starting experience, the right-hander will likely be shooting for a spot in the Dodgers’ bullpen as a long reliever.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)