Nov 22, 2010, 11:41 AM EDT
I’ve read a bunch of Terry Collins reactions this morning. Most of them aren’t all that insightful, frankly, because the guy just doesn’t have a recent track record anyone can grab onto. He’s intense. Some players who are now in their mid-40s didn’t much care for him. Hard to really find any traction with that.
Of all of them, though, I liked Buster Olney’s the best. Olney is a writer with New York experience but, since he’s not a New Yorker, has a pretty good perspective on the press scene there. At the same time, he watched Collins in the minor leagues and after he took over the Angels. His take:
Lest there be any doubt, Collins is more than smart enough to adapt. He certainly will recognize the pitfalls as he starts out. The question is whether he’s changed enough to survive. One thing is almost certain: Terry Collins, as good a baseball man as there is, will be an overwhelming success or a complete disaster.
And that’s based on not just Collins, but the New York environment, which I think he nails: it’s not that everything is So Much More Important in New York. It’s that everything — no matter how insignificant it actually is — is treated like it’s so much more important. And I agree with that “success or failure; no middle ground” thing. No matter what happens, I imagine that there will be fairly strong feelings about the guy two years from now, as opposed to general, apathetic Jerry Manuel misery.
And that’s an improvement, right?
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)