Nov 22, 2010, 9:01 AM EDT
The Tribune reports that “multiple National League sources” are saying that the Diamondbacks are interested in White Sox’ setup man J.J. Putz.
This is silly. No, not the Dbacks’ interest in Putz — he’s good and could help their crappy bullpen — but the notion of “National League sources.” The league offices were abolished years ago, and even the umpires now work for Major League Baseball, not a league. Clearly the sources were transferred to MLB too, weren’t they? Or are holed up in a small strip mall office with Bill White or Leonard Coleman someplace, thinking that it’s the mid-90s?
Oh well. As for Putz, I’d be rather surprised if — Arizona’s interest notwithstanding — the White Sox didn’t make a run at trying to keep him. Bobby Jenks is almost certainly going to be non-tendered, and the Sox are going to need a closer. Obviously, of course, the ultimate decision is up to Mr. Putz.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)