Nov 22, 2010, 9:01 AM EDT
The Tribune reports that “multiple National League sources” are saying that the Diamondbacks are interested in White Sox’ setup man J.J. Putz.
This is silly. No, not the Dbacks’ interest in Putz — he’s good and could help their crappy bullpen — but the notion of “National League sources.” The league offices were abolished years ago, and even the umpires now work for Major League Baseball, not a league. Clearly the sources were transferred to MLB too, weren’t they? Or are holed up in a small strip mall office with Bill White or Leonard Coleman someplace, thinking that it’s the mid-90s?
Oh well. As for Putz, I’d be rather surprised if — Arizona’s interest notwithstanding — the White Sox didn’t make a run at trying to keep him. Bobby Jenks is almost certainly going to be non-tendered, and the Sox are going to need a closer. Obviously, of course, the ultimate decision is up to Mr. Putz.
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 8
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 34
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (113)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)