Nov 22, 2010, 7:22 PM EST
Because you can never have too much intensity on a coaching staff, there is word floating around that there is a “strong possibility” that Larry Bowa will become Terry Collins’ bench coach on the Mets. Bowa, however, says that he hasn’t been contacted. His quote ended with “in all honesty.” I always found that anyone who ever begins a sentence with “quite frankly” or ends it with “in all honesty” is being neither frank nor honest, but let’s give Bowa the benefit of the doubt here because he’s great fun.
Gotta wonder, though, how he’d work out as Collins’ bench coach. If you subscribe to the theory that the bench coach should be a check or a second opinion on a manager’s decision making, a Collins-Bowa combo might prove disastrous. Indeed, it could form an intensity-feedback-loop that rips the universe asunder:
Collins: That’s it, I’m pulling Dickey. He’s walked two guys in a row.
Bowa: Wait, Terry. Maybe we should think about this a second.
Collins: What’s your suggestion, Larry?
Bowa: Maybe when you pull him you should GIVE HIM A BIG SMACK TO THE HEAD TOO!
Collins: Yes!! Awesome idea, Larry. I’m gonna KILL HIM!!! AARRRRUUGGHH!
Collins and Bowa: ARRRRRUUGGHH!!! WOO! WOO! WOO! [head butting one another]
Well, a boy can dream, can’t he?
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 76
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (80)