Nov 22, 2010, 7:22 PM EDT
Because you can never have too much intensity on a coaching staff, there is word floating around that there is a “strong possibility” that Larry Bowa will become Terry Collins’ bench coach on the Mets. Bowa, however, says that he hasn’t been contacted. His quote ended with “in all honesty.” I always found that anyone who ever begins a sentence with “quite frankly” or ends it with “in all honesty” is being neither frank nor honest, but let’s give Bowa the benefit of the doubt here because he’s great fun.
Gotta wonder, though, how he’d work out as Collins’ bench coach. If you subscribe to the theory that the bench coach should be a check or a second opinion on a manager’s decision making, a Collins-Bowa combo might prove disastrous. Indeed, it could form an intensity-feedback-loop that rips the universe asunder:
Collins: That’s it, I’m pulling Dickey. He’s walked two guys in a row.
Bowa: Wait, Terry. Maybe we should think about this a second.
Collins: What’s your suggestion, Larry?
Bowa: Maybe when you pull him you should GIVE HIM A BIG SMACK TO THE HEAD TOO!
Collins: Yes!! Awesome idea, Larry. I’m gonna KILL HIM!!! AARRRRUUGGHH!
Collins and Bowa: ARRRRRUUGGHH!!! WOO! WOO! WOO! [head butting one another]
Well, a boy can dream, can’t he?
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)