Nov 22, 2010, 7:22 PM EST
Because you can never have too much intensity on a coaching staff, there is word floating around that there is a “strong possibility” that Larry Bowa will become Terry Collins’ bench coach on the Mets. Bowa, however, says that he hasn’t been contacted. His quote ended with “in all honesty.” I always found that anyone who ever begins a sentence with “quite frankly” or ends it with “in all honesty” is being neither frank nor honest, but let’s give Bowa the benefit of the doubt here because he’s great fun.
Gotta wonder, though, how he’d work out as Collins’ bench coach. If you subscribe to the theory that the bench coach should be a check or a second opinion on a manager’s decision making, a Collins-Bowa combo might prove disastrous. Indeed, it could form an intensity-feedback-loop that rips the universe asunder:
Collins: That’s it, I’m pulling Dickey. He’s walked two guys in a row.
Bowa: Wait, Terry. Maybe we should think about this a second.
Collins: What’s your suggestion, Larry?
Bowa: Maybe when you pull him you should GIVE HIM A BIG SMACK TO THE HEAD TOO!
Collins: Yes!! Awesome idea, Larry. I’m gonna KILL HIM!!! AARRRRUUGGHH!
Collins and Bowa: ARRRRRUUGGHH!!! WOO! WOO! WOO! [head butting one another]
Well, a boy can dream, can’t he?
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 19
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)