Nov 22, 2010, 7:22 PM EDT
Because you can never have too much intensity on a coaching staff, there is word floating around that there is a “strong possibility” that Larry Bowa will become Terry Collins’ bench coach on the Mets. Bowa, however, says that he hasn’t been contacted. His quote ended with “in all honesty.” I always found that anyone who ever begins a sentence with “quite frankly” or ends it with “in all honesty” is being neither frank nor honest, but let’s give Bowa the benefit of the doubt here because he’s great fun.
Gotta wonder, though, how he’d work out as Collins’ bench coach. If you subscribe to the theory that the bench coach should be a check or a second opinion on a manager’s decision making, a Collins-Bowa combo might prove disastrous. Indeed, it could form an intensity-feedback-loop that rips the universe asunder:
Collins: That’s it, I’m pulling Dickey. He’s walked two guys in a row.
Bowa: Wait, Terry. Maybe we should think about this a second.
Collins: What’s your suggestion, Larry?
Bowa: Maybe when you pull him you should GIVE HIM A BIG SMACK TO THE HEAD TOO!
Collins: Yes!! Awesome idea, Larry. I’m gonna KILL HIM!!! AARRRRUUGGHH!
Collins and Bowa: ARRRRRUUGGHH!!! WOO! WOO! WOO! [head butting one another]
Well, a boy can dream, can’t he?
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 22
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 26
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 84
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 15
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)