Nov 22, 2010, 7:22 PM EDT
Because you can never have too much intensity on a coaching staff, there is word floating around that there is a “strong possibility” that Larry Bowa will become Terry Collins’ bench coach on the Mets. Bowa, however, says that he hasn’t been contacted. His quote ended with “in all honesty.” I always found that anyone who ever begins a sentence with “quite frankly” or ends it with “in all honesty” is being neither frank nor honest, but let’s give Bowa the benefit of the doubt here because he’s great fun.
Gotta wonder, though, how he’d work out as Collins’ bench coach. If you subscribe to the theory that the bench coach should be a check or a second opinion on a manager’s decision making, a Collins-Bowa combo might prove disastrous. Indeed, it could form an intensity-feedback-loop that rips the universe asunder:
Collins: That’s it, I’m pulling Dickey. He’s walked two guys in a row.
Bowa: Wait, Terry. Maybe we should think about this a second.
Collins: What’s your suggestion, Larry?
Bowa: Maybe when you pull him you should GIVE HIM A BIG SMACK TO THE HEAD TOO!
Collins: Yes!! Awesome idea, Larry. I’m gonna KILL HIM!!! AARRRRUUGGHH!
Collins and Bowa: ARRRRRUUGGHH!!! WOO! WOO! WOO! [head butting one another]
Well, a boy can dream, can’t he?
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 20
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 23
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 66
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)