A.J. Pierzynski’s mustache-growing isn’t going so well

Nov 23, 2010, 5:20 PM EST

aj pierzynski movember update

A.J. Pierzynski pledged not to shave his mustache this month as part of the “Movember” charity effort to raise money for “men’s health issues” like prostate and testicular cancer.

I applaud his efforts, particularly since he’s already raised more than $7,000 via donations from the likes of Darin Erstad and Doug Mientkiewicz, but … well, the actual mustache-growing isn’t going very well.

It took 23 days for Pierzynski’s to go from clean-shaven to “hey, I think you have some food stuck on your lip or something.”

As someone who gets a five o’clock shadow at around noon each day I can’t decide whether to mock Pierzynski or be jealous. I also haven’t shaved for 23 days–partly because of “Movember” but mostly because I’m just really, really lazy–and right now I look like a homeless man’s Brian Wilson. That’s my primary skill. His is playing baseball well enough to earn $35 million in career salary. So we’re basically even.

To track Pierzynski’s adventures in mustache-growing or donate to the worthy cause, click here.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Nov 23, 2010 at 5:28 PM

“…right now I look like a homeless man’s Brian Wilson” may be the best quote of the year by an HBT blogger. Priceless.

2. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 23, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Novembeard > Movember, man up AJ

3. Glenn - Nov 23, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Reminds me of Cliff “Wolfman” Claven on the beard contest episode of “Cheers”.

4. Utley's Hair - Nov 23, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Is that pathetic fungus amungus the reason the ChiSox declined arbitration?

5. Reflex - Nov 23, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Being Sicilian growing hair is not a challenge. Never afraid to mess around with my facial hair because I can regrow a full beard in under two weeks.

6. obamablowz - Nov 24, 2010 at 10:29 AM

he looks like he should be on that show “how to catch a predator”

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester