Nov 23, 2010, 5:20 PM EST
A.J. Pierzynski pledged not to shave his mustache this month as part of the “Movember” charity effort to raise money for “men’s health issues” like prostate and testicular cancer.
I applaud his efforts, particularly since he’s already raised more than $7,000 via donations from the likes of Darin Erstad and Doug Mientkiewicz, but … well, the actual mustache-growing isn’t going very well.
It took 23 days for Pierzynski’s to go from clean-shaven to “hey, I think you have some food stuck on your lip or something.”
As someone who gets a five o’clock shadow at around noon each day I can’t decide whether to mock Pierzynski or be jealous. I also haven’t shaved for 23 days–partly because of “Movember” but mostly because I’m just really, really lazy–and right now I look like a homeless man’s Brian Wilson. That’s my primary skill. His is playing baseball well enough to earn $35 million in career salary. So we’re basically even.
To track Pierzynski’s adventures in mustache-growing or donate to the worthy cause, click here.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 22
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)