Cashman: Jeter should test the market if he doesn’t like our offer

Nov 23, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT

Jeter Red Sox

That’s what he told Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York anyway:

“We understand his contributions to the franchise and our offer has taken them into account. We’ve encouraged him to test the market and see if there’s something he would prefer other than this. If he can, fine. That’s the way it works . . . We feel Derek Jeter gives us the best chance to win. But we’re not dealing with Derek alone. We’re dealing with our closer, we’re trying to add to our club, and if putting all out eggs into one basket takes away from our ability to add to our club, I ain’t gonna do it.”

That’s most likely it was rhetorical, meant more to signal to Casey Close that he needs to negotiate with the team rather than grouse to the Daily News or whoever.  Of course, the team is clearly planting its talking points with the New York Times and now ESPN New York, so they’re all a part of the same hypocrisy, Senator.  It’s just that Cashman has the leverage, it seems, so his little digs are way more delicious.

Know what else would be delicious? If Brian Sabean offered Jeter a three-year, $50 million deal right now, with the stipulation that Jeter can wear a robe out to batting practice every day that says “Derek Jeter: Shortstop for the World Champs,” just so he could piss off the Yankees.  Make it happen, Brian.  We all need this. Badly.

1. uyf1950 - Nov 23, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Whether rhetorical or not Cashman has a point. Let the chips fall where they may. I also think Jeter is doing himself more harm then good by this dragging out. I think most Yankee fans would consider the Yankees offer pretty generous, Jeter is coming off at least in my eyes and being greedy and unreasonable.

2. uyf1950 - Nov 23, 2010 at 3:44 PM

For 15 years Jeter has carefully cultivated his team player facade now little by little the longer this drags on different layers of that facade are being peeled away and slowly revealing the “real” Derek Jeter. Just the opinion of a Yankee fan since the 1950′s.

3. Joe - Nov 23, 2010 at 3:47 PM

How did misjudging his own value work out for Johnny Damon last winter?

• uyf1950 - Nov 23, 2010 at 3:55 PM

For Damon, it didn’t work out so good. He could have gotten 2 years from the Yankees for at least $14M maybe $15M. Instead he got $8M from Detroit for 1 year and this year he’ll be lucky to get $4M. Plus the fact he spent 2010 with the Tigers instead of the Yankees where he probably could have made a few more dollars in endorsements. No disrespect to the Tigers.

4. jgraening - Nov 23, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Since it’s the Giants, wouldn’t that robe say “Shortstop for the World’s Champions”?

5. Glenn - Nov 23, 2010 at 3:56 PM

I don’t think Derek Jeter and his agent really wanted to get to the point where Cashman says “test the market”. How does two years, $12 million sound, Captain Jeets?

6. paperlions - Nov 23, 2010 at 3:57 PM

If Jeter was a team player, wouldn’t he have volunteered to move to 3B when they signed ARod? Considering that ARod was clearly the superior fielder at the time….but he didn’t do that because it was more important to him to be the SS than it was to maximize the performance of the team. I have no problem with that at all…let’s just not act like he has been altruistic at all.

7. Utley's Hair - Nov 23, 2010 at 4:14 PM

After this whole debacle, how much of a slap in the face to the Bankees and their fans would it be if Jeter went to the BooSux?

• Glenn - Nov 23, 2010 at 4:23 PM

We don’t want him!!! We’re just glad not to be paying Renteria or Lugo anymore.

• uyf1950 - Nov 23, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Absolutely none, my friend and that’s coming from a very long time Yankee fan.

• pisano - Nov 23, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Theo isn’t stupid . He already has a sub standard SS in Scutaro , why would he want a guy with less range and a guy that’s clearly in decline. I hope the Yankees stick to their guns and tell this dick to walk .

8. kinggeorge96 - Nov 23, 2010 at 4:21 PM

The Yankees are my team, and as far as I’m concerned, Jeter is just making himself look bad. 3 years for $45 mil isn’t enough? How about 4-5 years for the same $45 mil, because that’s really closer to what he’s worth, at least $$$ wise. And that may still be generous. Yes he’s the captain.. now he needs to act like it.

• uyf1950 - Nov 23, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Couldn’t have said it better myself, my friend.

9. Glenn - Nov 23, 2010 at 4:26 PM

What’s worse from Jeter’s perspective – that 3 years for $45 million is ridiculously over market value, or that ARod is getting twice that per year for more years. It’s got to be killing him.

• uyf1950 - Nov 23, 2010 at 4:34 PM

What should really be killing him is that his contract didn’t expire after the 2009 season when he had the great year. You know who should really be bothered by the contract that are being handed out is Pujols. Jeter has nothing to complain about. He’s been very well paid.

10. jh0088 - Nov 23, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Jeter should fire his agent and agree to the basic terms of the contract directly with Cashman over lunch in Tampa. Then let his lawyer get in there and parse out the specific language of the contract. This back and forth between the agent and the team in the press is the biggest problem here and as we see with Scott Boras, sometimes the agent wants some public face time more than the player.

And ironically, by doing this Jeter would be taking a page out of Arod’s playbook when he fired his agent and dealt directly with the Yanks over his extention a few years ago.

Trust me, representatives tend to stand in the way more than they help sometimes.

• larrytsg - Nov 23, 2010 at 5:41 PM

I guess I just don’t understand the hard line stance that a player like Jeter is taking, or that his agent is taking. I know he’s an icon in New York, and even as a Red Sox fan I believe he plays the game “the right way”, even if his fielding is a bit overstated. But the whole defiant thing with the agent/team/press is not a great way to make things happen.

I know it’s apples and oranges, but I like a player like Tim Wakefield, played for the Sox for 15 or so years, and had a renewable 1 year contract for 4 million dollars that he rode for a few years until last offseason when they converted it into a 2 year deal. He never asked for more money, more time, or anything else. Just a team player who wanted only one thing, to continue to play for the same team he was on for the same money as last year. When his skills are gone, it’s over… simple as that.

11. geezer41 - Nov 23, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Greed is overpowering Jeter, he should accept a decent contract and keep playing for the Yankees. How much more money does this egotist need? The team has made him very wealthy now is the time to back off or refuse to sign and get his a*s to another city!!

12. bh0673 - Nov 23, 2010 at 5:40 PM

The realty of it is as a kid Jeter wanted to be the Yankee Shortstop, regardless of what he could get elsewhere if at all, I can’t see him happy playing anywhere else. $45 million over 3 years isn’t bad considering his recent numbers and I do believe having Texiera at first did help his defense, I believe he will sign with the Yankees in the end. Like uyf1950 said above, it didn’t work out real well for Damon.

13. xpensivewinos - Nov 23, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Bad combination mixing together here with Jeter’s ego, him wanting close to A-Rod money because he’s “more of a true Yankee” than Rodriguez, he wants to be paid for past performance and you also have to factor in that he and his agent are completely out of touch with reality. He’s also simply being greedy because he knows the Yankees can afford to pay anything and not really be impacted by it. Cashman will never convince him and his agent that money given to Jeter is actually impacting their ability to sign other players. Even if it’s true, they’ll just roll their eyes.

Poor guy. Hopefully, his girlfriend gets a guest spot back on Friday Night Lights before it ends so they at least have a few bucks rolling in…….

And as a Red Sox fan, I’ll roll the dice with Jed Lowrie at short. If Epstein can trade Scutaro and actually get something for him, then he’s pulled off a miracle.

14. Robert - Nov 23, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Jeter=New York Mets

15. kurtz63 - Nov 23, 2010 at 6:36 PM

I’ve been a Yankee fan for over thirty years and like the guy says in the commercial…They’ll bury me in my Yankee jersey, but I don’t wear blinders and the Yankees, in my opinion, have a piece of their history that they do NOT display so proudly in the halls of their new stadium: and that is their way of saying goodbye to their greatest stars. It’s nothing new. It goes all the way back to Babe Ruth. When the Yankees decide there done with you they treat you like garbage. Look at how Joe Torre was treated, not even included in a highlight reel celebrating the triumphs of old Yankee Stadium. Reggie was thrown away, Mattingly was shown the door. For an organization that builds their foundation on pride and class it’s hard to understand. I say sign Jeter for three years and name him to be the Yankees 2014 Manager. There’s no doubt in my mind that he’ll be the next Joe Torre, just as Lou Pinella was the new Billy Martin.

16. anythingbutyanks - Nov 23, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Ahh, the Yanks just want Jeter to see that he’s not worth what he’s asking on the market so that he’ll be forced to take the overly generous offer already on the table. A lot of good players in recent years have given “hometown discounts” in order to allow their teams to be more competetive in signing other quality players. Jeter wants a “hometown premium.”

17. kurtz63 - Nov 24, 2010 at 9:53 AM

What’s the diffrence if the Yanks pay Jeter twenty million dollars a year or a hundred. It’s still going to cost us two hundred dollars to get a decent seat at the stadium. It’s very interesting the way we fans suddenly become interested in the “costs” of a big business. Do we stand around the water cooler and discuss whether or not G.M. is using the most cost effective methoods to ensure a good product? I’m a Yankee fan and I want the best product out there and I beleive that product should include Derek Jeter. I don’t care how much he makes and neither should anyone else. What diffrence does it really it make.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5570)