Nov 23, 2010, 9:16 PM EDT
Jon Heyman tweets that he’s hearing that the Yankees are going to improve their bid from the current three-year, $45 million offer.
My guess: it will be a tiny amount of sweetener. Like, half a packet of Splenda. Enough to extricate the parties out of this ugly impasse at which they currently find themselves by allowing Jeter to say that he got a better deal as a result of all of this, but not so much to where the offer is terribly higher than the three-years, $45 million. Maybe there will be a moderately hard-to-obtain option year. Or a mutual option. Or some incentive clauses. But it won’t be leaps and bounds beyond what’s on the table.
Why would it be? Everyone has realized pretty quickly that Jeter doesn’t have a ton of leverage here. No other team will pay him $15 million per. Indeed, if I were the Yankees I’d be inclined to let Jeter dangle a bit and maybe anonymously email him articles about Johnny Damon’s contracts talks last winter. You know, make ’em sweat.
But lucky for everyone on the planet I’m not running the Yankees and they may be trying to take a slightly higher road than I would here. They’ve made their point over the last 48 hours or so. Now maybe they’re going to let Jeter off the hook, paying him a tad more so that he can save face, but comfortable that he now knows who really holds the cards.
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 1
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 40
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 74
- Who really owns a home run ball? 63
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)