Nov 23, 2010, 9:16 PM EDT
Jon Heyman tweets that he’s hearing that the Yankees are going to improve their bid from the current three-year, $45 million offer.
My guess: it will be a tiny amount of sweetener. Like, half a packet of Splenda. Enough to extricate the parties out of this ugly impasse at which they currently find themselves by allowing Jeter to say that he got a better deal as a result of all of this, but not so much to where the offer is terribly higher than the three-years, $45 million. Maybe there will be a moderately hard-to-obtain option year. Or a mutual option. Or some incentive clauses. But it won’t be leaps and bounds beyond what’s on the table.
Why would it be? Everyone has realized pretty quickly that Jeter doesn’t have a ton of leverage here. No other team will pay him $15 million per. Indeed, if I were the Yankees I’d be inclined to let Jeter dangle a bit and maybe anonymously email him articles about Johnny Damon’s contracts talks last winter. You know, make ’em sweat.
But lucky for everyone on the planet I’m not running the Yankees and they may be trying to take a slightly higher road than I would here. They’ve made their point over the last 48 hours or so. Now maybe they’re going to let Jeter off the hook, paying him a tad more so that he can save face, but comfortable that he now knows who really holds the cards.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)