Heyman: the Yankees are going to sweeten their offer to Jeter

Nov 23, 2010, 9:16 PM EST

Derek Jeter triple

Jon Heyman tweets that he’s hearing that the Yankees are going to improve their bid from the current three-year, $45 million offer.

My guess: it will be a tiny amount of sweetener. Like, half a packet of Splenda.  Enough to extricate the parties out of this ugly impasse at which they currently find themselves by allowing Jeter to say that he got a better deal as a result of all of this, but not so much to where the offer is terribly higher than the three-years, $45 million.  Maybe there will be a moderately hard-to-obtain option year. Or a mutual option. Or some incentive clauses. But it won’t be leaps and bounds beyond what’s on the table.

Why would it be?  Everyone has realized pretty quickly that Jeter doesn’t have a ton of leverage here. No other team will pay him $15 million per. Indeed, if I were the Yankees I’d be inclined to let Jeter dangle a bit and maybe anonymously email him articles about Johnny Damon’s contracts talks last winter.  You know, make ‘em sweat.

But lucky for everyone on the planet I’m not running the Yankees and they may be trying to take a slightly higher road than I would here. They’ve made their point over the last 48 hours or so.  Now maybe they’re going to let Jeter off the hook, paying him a tad more so that he can save face, but comfortable that he now knows who really holds the cards.

1. cwkash - Nov 23, 2010 at 9:20 PM

When did you start pulling the night shift Craig? Your posts go well with my bedtime bourbon.

• Craig Calcaterra - Nov 23, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Just messin’ around. D.J. is moving this week. I have no life. It goes together nicely.

2. Glenn - Nov 23, 2010 at 9:22 PM

I love when teams bid against themselves. If this story were true (and it may be), why would Cashman make the statement that he did today?

3. Jonny 5 - Nov 23, 2010 at 9:39 PM

I would totally stand my ground if I were Cashman. “This is as good as it gets for you buddy, you aren’t worth this much, let alone more.”

• pisano - Nov 25, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Jonny 5, your post says it all. He’s not worth what they’re offering. I hope this drags out a lot longer and I hope it get’s nasty, because the longer and the nastier it gets most Yankee fans will turn on Jeter, I know I have.

4. mschempp - Nov 23, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Jesse’s looking more like Nostradamus every day:

5. heiniemanush - Nov 23, 2010 at 9:58 PM

In the words of the immortal Archie Bunker “Whoop-de-doo”. Next story, please.

6. uyf1950 - Nov 23, 2010 at 10:06 PM

I’ve been saying for over a week this thing will settle at about $17M per for 3 years. Jeter knows that’s probably going to be as good as it gets. It appears the Yankees are drawing a line in the sand. That’s not necessarily a bad thing in this case. Jeter is starting to come across as a greedy ball player with a sense of entitlement.

7. pisano - Nov 23, 2010 at 10:42 PM

I see the Yankees holding their ground and Jeter moving on. That’s what I’m hoping for anyway. The Yankees say this is a business deal and I hope they treat it as such. If this is indeed purely business then it’s not smart to give a declining 37 yr. old 15 mil.per yr. Hold your ground Yankees.

8. Old Gator - Nov 23, 2010 at 11:29 PM

It would be fun to let Craig own the Borg for a few hours, just to watch what he’d have to say about the Braves during that time.

9. preseasonchamps08 - Nov 24, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Anybody that is NOT a Yankees fan: Would you want Jeter as your shortstop? I know my Tigers pay Jhonny Peralta about $7 million a year, which is ridiculous, but I would take him at that rate a thousand times before the most overrated athlete of this generation at $17 million…I beg you Mr. Jeter, please take the “modest” offer the Yankees offered you. If you are the best shortstop in baseball, at 36, the Apocalypse is upon us…

• jhu1997 - Nov 24, 2010 at 1:55 AM

Giants fan here – I’d be happy to have Jeter for a couple of years at about $8MM per. While the left side of the infield would be dreadful – Panda and Jetes would let EVERYTHING through – the Giants have an extreme flyball / strikeout staff to mitigate it. Coupled with the nonzero chance that he returns to something like .300/.360/.420, I think that’s a decent flier.

• uncommon1 - Nov 24, 2010 at 6:05 AM

Twins fan: I don’t even know who our starting SS will be in 2011, but I wouldn’t want it to be Jeter for anything more than $8mil. The ONLY reason he is worth that, is because of his postseason ability. Despite his laughable defensive range he is a valuable asset. One of the most marketable players in all of sports. He’s worth $15mil to the Yanks because their fans love him with an unwavering passion

• Andrew - Nov 24, 2010 at 5:26 PM

You mean his postseason ability (.309/.377/.472) which is nearly identical to his career numbers (.314/.385/.452)?

• Rosenthals Speling Instrukter - Nov 24, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Padres fan here. Being the person who is the alone in the bleachers for 90% percent of the games (I am a season ticket holder) I would not want Jeter at any money.

People may actually know the team exists and I would not have an entire section to myself. I had so much space during a game this year I made a fort, even used a black magic marker I had and wrote No Girls Allowed on the box of popcorn I bought. Placed it in row 3 and my seat is in row 18.

In all seriousness I would take him for a year at 7M just for how well he influences the media. He could teach a lot of the kids we have how to handle things and make the media your personal PR institute.

• Utley's Hair - Nov 24, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Jeter for $7 million a year? What color is the crack you’re smoking?

• Utley's Hair - Nov 24, 2010 at 11:21 AM

He would be eaten alive here in Philly, though the Phans wouldn’t spit on Minka.

10. brianmatusz17 - Nov 24, 2010 at 6:17 AM

orioles fan and i dont want him at all!!!! ill put adam jones back at ss if thats the case

• seattlej - Nov 24, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Seattle fan – I just want Adam Jones back.

11. yankees1996 - Nov 24, 2010 at 2:57 PM

I don’t know Craig, a reminder and a poke about Damons’ situation may not necessarily be out of line. I like Jeter always have, but I think he needs to seriously consider what is a fair deal and what is truly on the other side of the fence. The situation he is in at this point in time I just don’t see the grass being greener on the other side, know what I mean?

12. stew01 - Nov 25, 2010 at 3:12 AM

Jeter will get 60 million over 3 years…..just watch.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester