Nov 23, 2010, 3:15 PM EST
While the Yankees have no interest in re-signing Javier Vazquez following a disastrous one-season return to New York, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com they’ll offer him arbitration because Vazquez has agreed ahead of time to decline the offer.
In other words, the Yankees will be able to collect a supplemental draft pick between the first and second rounds as compensation for Vazquez signing elsewhere without having to actually risk him accepting their arbitration offer. They never would have taken that risk without Vazquez agreeing ahead of time to decline arbitration, so this essentially gives the Yankees a free draft pick.
I’m not exactly sure what benefit Vazquez gets for agreeing to decline the offer and hand the Yankees a sandwich-round pick, but he’s not the first Type B free agent to agree to such an arrangement. Rosenthal notes that general manager Brian Cashman “enjoys a strong relationship” with Vazquez’s agents, Sam and Seth Levinson, so presumably they encouraged him to do the Yankees a favor.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)