Nov 23, 2010, 7:14 PM EDT
Javier Vazquez obviously wants to cleanse the palate after that awful year he had in New York, and to that end he has reportedly been looking for a make-good deal in a pitcher-friendly environment. But apparently he’s taking the definition of “make good” to a bit of an extreme, as ESPN is reporting that he has turned down multi-year offers worth as much as $10 million a year, preferring instead to take a single-year offer.
I have no factual basis to question such a report, but I must ask: really?
What’s the point of a make-good contract if it isn’t to, with a little luck, win yourself a longer or more lucrative contract down the road? Isn’t a two-year $20 million offer pretty good? If he can really get the “good” without the “make” part, why wouldn’t he take it? Just seems odd to me.
All of that said, I’ll grant that I tend to undervalue mid-rotation pitchers this time of year and always find myself a bit surprised at what some of them end up signing for. Maybe Vazquez will do better than $10 million after imploding at $11.5 million last year.
But if he doesn’t, and if he ends up pitching on a one-year, $8 million deal in Florida or something, I do hope someone asks him why he didn’t take the 2/$20MM offer with whatever mystery team is floating it.
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 9
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 42
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 61
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 72
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 44
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 30
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)