Javy Vazquez is turning down multi-year offers

Nov 23, 2010, 7:14 PM EDT

Javier Vazquez Yankees

Javier Vazquez obviously wants to cleanse the palate after that awful year he had in New York, and to that end he has reportedly been looking for a make-good deal in a pitcher-friendly environment.  But apparently he’s taking the definition of “make good” to a bit of an extreme, as ESPN is reporting that he has turned down multi-year offers worth as much as $10 million a year, preferring instead to take a single-year offer.

I have no factual basis to question such a report, but I must ask: really?

What’s the point of a make-good contract if it isn’t to, with a little luck, win yourself a longer or more lucrative contract down the road?  Isn’t a two-year $20 million offer pretty good? If he can really get the “good” without the “make” part, why wouldn’t he take it?  Just seems odd to me.

All of that said, I’ll grant that I tend to undervalue mid-rotation pitchers this time of year and always find myself a bit surprised at what some of them end up signing for. Maybe Vazquez will do better than $10 million after imploding at $11.5 million last year.

But if he doesn’t, and if he ends up pitching on a one-year, $8 million deal in Florida or something, I do hope someone asks him why he didn’t take the 2/$20MM offer with whatever mystery team is floating it.

1. jfk69 - Nov 23, 2010 at 8:01 PM

JAVY
    You are trying to prove something. Take the money. Two years in hand is worth a lot more than one year in the bush.

2. pisano - Nov 23, 2010 at 8:12 PM

If he’s turning down multi-year offers he needs to be drug tested asap . With the way he pitched and loss of his fastball I would have him checked for dropping LSD . He has to be totally delusional .

• George - Nov 23, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Just out of curiosity, what’s with the extra spaces around your punctuation? I’ve been wondering this for a while.

• pisano - Nov 23, 2010 at 9:07 PM

George, good question, I’ve been doing it without realizing it. Thanks for pointing it out. I almost did it again. I’ll be working on it.

3. Jonny 5 - Nov 23, 2010 at 9:25 PM

I call this one BS. No mystery team, no 20 million. If indeed there was a mystery team with 20 million to throw away on Javy he’d be signed by now.

4. Utley's Hair - Nov 23, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Craig’s going for a record for number of posts using the same photo in a single day.

5. Old Gator - Nov 23, 2010 at 11:36 PM

I can’t see Scrooge McLoria coughing up eight big ones for this guy, even if Edwin Rodriguez did go visit him back home on what Stephen Sondheim called the “island of tropic diseases” and chat about what dreams may come over a bowl of mafongo fish pie. Edwin was a “what the hell” rehire, mostly because he was the cheapest deal on the market, and I doubt about as seriously as I doubt that the Super Cray will eventually cough up an even integer of Pi that Rodriguez has the cachet to convince Scrooge and the Chihuahua to bust the budget for his ol’ buddy.

6. preseasonchamps08 - Nov 24, 2010 at 12:35 AM

I would hope that one of the absolute worst starting pitchers in the American League would accept a two year deal that paid him $20 million. He is absolutely awful, and if a National League team (which would be the only team willing to take him) wants him so badly, he better take it. He is terrible, and will never get another contract after this year.

7. schlom - Nov 24, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Well, if he goes to Petco Park I could see his greatly increasing his value (assuming he is healthy).

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey