Nov 23, 2010, 3:48 PM EDT
UPDATE: As expected, the Rangers have hired Bosley as their new hitting coach.
After one season as Texas’ hitting coach Clint Hurdle was hired as Pittsburgh’s manager and now the Rangers are interviewing five different candidates to replace him: Thad Bosley, Ty Van Burkleo, Scott Coolbaugh, Luis Ortiz, Johnny Narron.
Rangers hitting coach is a pretty good gig, as they’re the defending American League champs with the likely league MVP in the middle of the lineup and play in one of the majors’ top hitters’ ballparks.
Hurdle parlayed the job into managing again and the guy he replaced, Rudy Jaramillo, left the Rangers to become one of baseball’s highest-paid coaches with the Cubs.
Jeff Wilson of the Dallas Morning News notes that Bosley finished runner-up to Hurdle in the job search last offseason, so presumably he has a leg up this time around.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)