Nov 23, 2010, 3:48 PM EST
UPDATE: As expected, the Rangers have hired Bosley as their new hitting coach.
After one season as Texas’ hitting coach Clint Hurdle was hired as Pittsburgh’s manager and now the Rangers are interviewing five different candidates to replace him: Thad Bosley, Ty Van Burkleo, Scott Coolbaugh, Luis Ortiz, Johnny Narron.
Rangers hitting coach is a pretty good gig, as they’re the defending American League champs with the likely league MVP in the middle of the lineup and play in one of the majors’ top hitters’ ballparks.
Hurdle parlayed the job into managing again and the guy he replaced, Rudy Jaramillo, left the Rangers to become one of baseball’s highest-paid coaches with the Cubs.
Jeff Wilson of the Dallas Morning News notes that Bosley finished runner-up to Hurdle in the job search last offseason, so presumably he has a leg up this time around.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 41
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)