Nov 23, 2010, 3:48 PM EDT
UPDATE: As expected, the Rangers have hired Bosley as their new hitting coach.
After one season as Texas’ hitting coach Clint Hurdle was hired as Pittsburgh’s manager and now the Rangers are interviewing five different candidates to replace him: Thad Bosley, Ty Van Burkleo, Scott Coolbaugh, Luis Ortiz, Johnny Narron.
Rangers hitting coach is a pretty good gig, as they’re the defending American League champs with the likely league MVP in the middle of the lineup and play in one of the majors’ top hitters’ ballparks.
Hurdle parlayed the job into managing again and the guy he replaced, Rudy Jaramillo, left the Rangers to become one of baseball’s highest-paid coaches with the Cubs.
Jeff Wilson of the Dallas Morning News notes that Bosley finished runner-up to Hurdle in the job search last offseason, so presumably he has a leg up this time around.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)