Nov 23, 2010, 3:48 PM EDT
UPDATE: As expected, the Rangers have hired Bosley as their new hitting coach.
After one season as Texas’ hitting coach Clint Hurdle was hired as Pittsburgh’s manager and now the Rangers are interviewing five different candidates to replace him: Thad Bosley, Ty Van Burkleo, Scott Coolbaugh, Luis Ortiz, Johnny Narron.
Rangers hitting coach is a pretty good gig, as they’re the defending American League champs with the likely league MVP in the middle of the lineup and play in one of the majors’ top hitters’ ballparks.
Hurdle parlayed the job into managing again and the guy he replaced, Rudy Jaramillo, left the Rangers to become one of baseball’s highest-paid coaches with the Cubs.
Jeff Wilson of the Dallas Morning News notes that Bosley finished runner-up to Hurdle in the job search last offseason, so presumably he has a leg up this time around.
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 16
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)