Nov 23, 2010, 1:17 PM EST
General manager Walt Jocketty said yesterday that the Reds haven’t had any long-term contract talks with Joey Votto yet in part because “we were waiting until after the MVP [was announced] to be fair to him.”
Now that he has an MVP award at age 26 the long-term price tag has probably gone up, but Votto seemed unsure when asked about whether the two sides would engage in contract talks:
We haven’t had any talks. How open am I to that? I don’t know. You’d have to see the figures and talk about the years. Because we haven’t have any conversations about it. It wouldn’t be fair to comment on it. I’m not trying to dodge the question. But I’ve got nothing. That’s OK right now. I don’t want to be peppered with contract stuff all offseason.
I’m sure many Reds fans are clamoring for the team to get Votto signed long term, but at this point there’s really no hurry to do so. Because he got a relatively late start and didn’t become a full-time player in the majors until age 24 he’s arbitration eligible for the first time in 2011, which means Votto is already under team control through his age-29 season in 2013.
Plenty of time for the two sides to work on a deal and plenty of time for the Reds to see if he’s able to repeat his MVP-winning performance before committing to Votto into his 30s.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (135)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)