Nov 23, 2010, 1:17 PM EST
General manager Walt Jocketty said yesterday that the Reds haven’t had any long-term contract talks with Joey Votto yet in part because “we were waiting until after the MVP [was announced] to be fair to him.”
Now that he has an MVP award at age 26 the long-term price tag has probably gone up, but Votto seemed unsure when asked about whether the two sides would engage in contract talks:
We haven’t had any talks. How open am I to that? I don’t know. You’d have to see the figures and talk about the years. Because we haven’t have any conversations about it. It wouldn’t be fair to comment on it. I’m not trying to dodge the question. But I’ve got nothing. That’s OK right now. I don’t want to be peppered with contract stuff all offseason.
I’m sure many Reds fans are clamoring for the team to get Votto signed long term, but at this point there’s really no hurry to do so. Because he got a relatively late start and didn’t become a full-time player in the majors until age 24 he’s arbitration eligible for the first time in 2011, which means Votto is already under team control through his age-29 season in 2013.
Plenty of time for the two sides to work on a deal and plenty of time for the Reds to see if he’s able to repeat his MVP-winning performance before committing to Votto into his 30s.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)