Nov 23, 2010, 12:00 PM EST
FOX’s Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Giants
are on the verge of signing have signed Aubrey Huff to a two-year extension worth $22 million, plus a club option for 2013.
Huff hit .290/.385/.506 with 26 homers and 86 RBIs this year while playing a little left a little right but mostly first base. He started slow, but caught fire in May, June and July before fading in August and September. Still, the Giants would have watched the playoffs from home without him and they certainly could use his pop next season, because there are no sure things in that lineup other than Buster Posey. Huff certainly wanted to stay in San Francisco, and now he will.
As for the deal: I think it’s pretty good for both sides. Huff was a bargain at $3 million in 2010, and he made good as his contract essentially demanded that he do. I expect a falloff — his 2010 was much like his 2008, but the levels he showed between 2005 and 2007 and in 2009 may be a safer bet — but at only two years he’s worth the gamble.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 63
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)