Nov 23, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
FOX’s Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Giants
are on the verge of signing have signed Aubrey Huff to a two-year extension worth $22 million, plus a club option for 2013.
Huff hit .290/.385/.506 with 26 homers and 86 RBIs this year while playing a little left a little right but mostly first base. He started slow, but caught fire in May, June and July before fading in August and September. Still, the Giants would have watched the playoffs from home without him and they certainly could use his pop next season, because there are no sure things in that lineup other than Buster Posey. Huff certainly wanted to stay in San Francisco, and now he will.
As for the deal: I think it’s pretty good for both sides. Huff was a bargain at $3 million in 2010, and he made good as his contract essentially demanded that he do. I expect a falloff — his 2010 was much like his 2008, but the levels he showed between 2005 and 2007 and in 2009 may be a safer bet — but at only two years he’s worth the gamble.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)