Nov 23, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
FOX’s Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Giants
are on the verge of signing have signed Aubrey Huff to a two-year extension worth $22 million, plus a club option for 2013.
Huff hit .290/.385/.506 with 26 homers and 86 RBIs this year while playing a little left a little right but mostly first base. He started slow, but caught fire in May, June and July before fading in August and September. Still, the Giants would have watched the playoffs from home without him and they certainly could use his pop next season, because there are no sure things in that lineup other than Buster Posey. Huff certainly wanted to stay in San Francisco, and now he will.
As for the deal: I think it’s pretty good for both sides. Huff was a bargain at $3 million in 2010, and he made good as his contract essentially demanded that he do. I expect a falloff — his 2010 was much like his 2008, but the levels he showed between 2005 and 2007 and in 2009 may be a safer bet — but at only two years he’s worth the gamble.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)