Nov 23, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
The latest arbitration offer news has gone down: the Red Sox have offered salary arbitration to Victor Martinez, Adrian Beltre and Felipe Lopez, and declined arbitration to Mike Lowell, Bill Hall and Jason Varitek.
None of these are shocking. Obviously they were going to offer it to Martinez, who is all but signed by the Tigers now. Beltre was a no-brainer too, because whether he stays or goes, he’s not going to go through an arbitration proceeding. It will be because he signs a fat free agent contract someplace. Felipe Lopez is a tactical offering, I’m guessing, most likely predicated by an agreement between him and the team that he would decline such an offer so that the Red Sox could get the sandwich pick. I’m not sure what Lopez gets in exchange, but isn’t it the case that (a) the Sox don’t want to keep Lopez around; and (b) without some agreement, Lopez would jump on it? I don’t know. Maybe they figure he’s worth the risk at $1 million or whatever he made last year and really find sandwich picks to be yummy. Mmmmm . . . sandwiches . . .
The declines make sense too. Mike Lowell is done playing baseball. Bill Hall was making a lot of money — $9 million — so an arbitration offer to him makes so sense, as he’s due way less than that as a free agent. Varitek is no longer in the Red Sox’ plans.
Teams still have until midnight to offer arbitration to their free agents.
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 3
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 196
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (196)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)