Nov 23, 2010, 6:00 PM EST
The latest arbitration offer news has gone down: the Red Sox have offered salary arbitration to Victor Martinez, Adrian Beltre and Felipe Lopez, and declined arbitration to Mike Lowell, Bill Hall and Jason Varitek.
None of these are shocking. Obviously they were going to offer it to Martinez, who is all but signed by the Tigers now. Beltre was a no-brainer too, because whether he stays or goes, he’s not going to go through an arbitration proceeding. It will be because he signs a fat free agent contract someplace. Felipe Lopez is a tactical offering, I’m guessing, most likely predicated by an agreement between him and the team that he would decline such an offer so that the Red Sox could get the sandwich pick. I’m not sure what Lopez gets in exchange, but isn’t it the case that (a) the Sox don’t want to keep Lopez around; and (b) without some agreement, Lopez would jump on it? I don’t know. Maybe they figure he’s worth the risk at $1 million or whatever he made last year and really find sandwich picks to be yummy. Mmmmm . . . sandwiches . . .
The declines make sense too. Mike Lowell is done playing baseball. Bill Hall was making a lot of money — $9 million — so an arbitration offer to him makes so sense, as he’s due way less than that as a free agent. Varitek is no longer in the Red Sox’ plans.
Teams still have until midnight to offer arbitration to their free agents.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)