Nov 23, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
The latest arbitration offer news has gone down: the Red Sox have offered salary arbitration to Victor Martinez, Adrian Beltre and Felipe Lopez, and declined arbitration to Mike Lowell, Bill Hall and Jason Varitek.
None of these are shocking. Obviously they were going to offer it to Martinez, who is all but signed by the Tigers now. Beltre was a no-brainer too, because whether he stays or goes, he’s not going to go through an arbitration proceeding. It will be because he signs a fat free agent contract someplace. Felipe Lopez is a tactical offering, I’m guessing, most likely predicated by an agreement between him and the team that he would decline such an offer so that the Red Sox could get the sandwich pick. I’m not sure what Lopez gets in exchange, but isn’t it the case that (a) the Sox don’t want to keep Lopez around; and (b) without some agreement, Lopez would jump on it? I don’t know. Maybe they figure he’s worth the risk at $1 million or whatever he made last year and really find sandwich picks to be yummy. Mmmmm . . . sandwiches . . .
The declines make sense too. Mike Lowell is done playing baseball. Bill Hall was making a lot of money — $9 million — so an arbitration offer to him makes so sense, as he’s due way less than that as a free agent. Varitek is no longer in the Red Sox’ plans.
Teams still have until midnight to offer arbitration to their free agents.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)