The Yankees and Jeter are “not even in the same ballpark”

Nov 23, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT

jeter in dugout

Michael S. Schmidt of the New York Times reports that, according to someone in the know on the Yankees-Jeter negotiations, the parties are “not even in the same ballpark.”

If so, it would be the first time Jeter has left the ballpark in ages. Hey-o!

No, seriously, there’s reportedly trouble in paradise, as the Yankees are taking an outrageously hard line:

“We do appreciate the contributions he has made to this organization,” Cashman said in an interview with The New York Times. “And Derek Jeter is the person we want playing shortstop.” But, Cashman added, the money in a new contract “ has to be a fair salary” that reflects the fact that Jeter will turn 37 next June . . . “We have told them directly, face to face, how we came up with our offer, and we have made it clear to them that our primary focus is his on-the-field performance.”

Wait, that’s not a hard line. That’s fairly reasonable.  And that “fair offer” stuff is not actually even true, because Schmidt confirms that often-mentioned three-year, $45  million offer, and that values Jeter way above what is fair for a guy of his age and skills.  Really, I’m not sure what the Yankees need to do to be more reasonable here.

But as the guild obligates us to do, let me say this: I still think a deal gets done. I think that when it gets done it will be pretty darn close to what the Yankees are currently offering and that, if there is any sweetening of the deal, it will be of the bells and whistles variety (performance incentives, creative options, etc.) that allow Jeter to claim he did better than what the Yankees were initially offering.

Because really, what leverage does Jeter have?

1. elric718 - Nov 23, 2010 at 2:00 PM

He would have had leverage with Detroit, but it looks like they blew all their crazy money on other players already.

2. Utley's Hair - Nov 23, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Yeah…God’s Gift to Shortstop is in Wanker Stadium, while the Bankees are in New Yanker Stadium.

3. Jonny 5 - Nov 23, 2010 at 2:08 PM

I’m not a Yankee fan. I’m not a Deter fan. Sure both are just great, but I think the Yankees need to take a stand here and tell Deter that he has 2 weeks to accept the offer or walk. There are FA SS out there who are eating their hearts out seeing what Deter was offered. And he says it’s not enough? They could do a number of things to replace him with better for less $$$. And the more I think about it, the more I think Deter is wayyyy off base. The more Sith Cashman and SteinVadar think about, and see what’s available the less attractive Deter and his HUGE head and overinflated ego will seem. I only say that because he seems to think he’s worth more than he really is, way more. I can’t figure out to save my own life which would please me more at this point. The Yankees tell Deter to go get bent? or the Yankees signing him to 4 years 60 million??? Hmmm? Both would give me something to smile about for 2011…

• Utley's Hair - Nov 23, 2010 at 2:17 PM

He could always hock his Gold Glove.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 23, 2010 at 2:37 PM

He didn’t deserve it anyway. Fielding bible awards. Ever hear of them?

“Jeter, who won his fifth Gold Glove Award this year, did not receive a single vote in the Fielding Bible Awards, which asks voters to list the top 10 players defensively at each position. They list every player who receives a single vote. Jeter received none. Twenty other shortstops received some votes, including Alcides Escobar of the Brewers, who finished 11th.

• Glenn - Nov 23, 2010 at 4:02 PM

I heard that he already had it bronzed.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 23, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Doubt they walk, but I love the hardline from the Yanks and Cashmoney in particular. Future contracts are already hampering the team, no sense giving out another ridiculous contract merely because they can. Let Jeter test the market, if another team beats the 3/$45M, bon voyage

• Jonny 5 - Nov 23, 2010 at 2:57 PM

AMEN! Reverend of the angry church!! Can I get an Amen???!!

• Utley's Hair - Nov 23, 2010 at 3:08 PM

And yet, isn’t that the reason they give out contracts like that? Because they can?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 23, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Because they can?

That was the old regime [George succeeded by Hank], Cashmoney and Hal operate under a different mantra. Now all they have to do is hogtie Levine so he never says another word, ever and the future of the Yanks organization is in good hands.

4. Rosenthals Speling Instrukter - Nov 23, 2010 at 2:20 PM

The Yankees are in the Ballpark in the Bronx, Jeter is in the ballpark somewhere on Pluto.

5. uyf1950 - Nov 23, 2010 at 2:39 PM

I stand by comments I have made on these sites over the past several days. It’s going to get done for about $17M per for 3 years. I think Jeter is slowly coming to the realization that the Yankees have made him a “more” then fair offer, plus his options are very, very limited. I also think the piece yesterday about the Yankees holding the line on Rivera was just a ploy to make Jeter realize the Yankees are going to be bullied by his “icon” status and overpay him to such a degree.
    In the end Jeter gets 3 years $17M per plus or minus and Rivera gets his 2 years at $15M per plus or minus.

6. hep3 - Nov 23, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Probably the closest player to Jeter that played from ages 37 to 41 is Craig Biggio. Biggio averaged 150 games, .262 with a .323 OBP and 19 homers per year in that span from 2003-2007. Biggio made almost $25 million total for those five years.

I am not seeing Jeter putting up those numbers for five years and even still, is that production worth $15 million per year?

• uyf1950 - Nov 23, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Hep3 – the only problem is Biggio’s numbers the last 3 years of that 5 year deal was: OBP – .264 ; 246 ; 251 and his OPS – .792 ; .727; .666.

Jeter never has been a “slugger”. Biggio “like” numbers for Jeter are not worth $15M purely on performance. Again, I say the Yankees are being more then fair with their offer. Jeter, just needs to take a breath and realize that. He’s not going to be paid in the future for past performances. He already was paid pretty handsomely for 10 years at $19M per.

• paperlions - Nov 23, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Those were his BAs, not his OBPs. But yeah, he pretty much sucked.

• uyf1950 - Nov 23, 2010 at 3:20 PM

paperlions – My mistake. Above I did show his BA. here are Biggio’s OBP for those 3 years .325 ; .306 ; .285
        But as you said. My point still stands and those are not the numbers to justify $15M per.

• Utley's Hair - Nov 23, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Um…not to get too personal, but is hep3 contagious? Do I need to worry about a computer virus?

• hep3 - Nov 23, 2010 at 4:55 PM

I am absolutely not contagious.

I think the Yankees made Jeter a great offer. What really has to grate on Jeter is that he has only earned $205 million in his career and A-Rod is up to $264 million. A-Rod also has guaranteed money through age 41 that will pay him another $174 million plus up to a $30 million bonus for milestone homers between 660 and 763. And A-Rod isn’t even a “true Yankee,” what ever the heck that means.

Too bad, so sad.

This could be a Jody Reed scenario; but at least the Cap’n would have his pride, eh?

The Yanks and Jeter deserve each other. Cap’n Jetes Team player, my a$$.

7. yankeesfanlen - Nov 23, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Perhaps Beep-beep the Jete can accompany Bernie. Does he play harmonica?

• Rosenthals Speling Instrukter - Nov 23, 2010 at 3:59 PM

I heard he plays a mean jug.

8. pisano - Nov 23, 2010 at 3:13 PM

I say get rid of his whiny ass . Where he gets he’s worth more than the overly generous 3 yrs. @ 15 mil is beyond me . The Yankees will be the laughing stock of baseball with anything over their original offer . I say he’ll hurt the team more than help them within this contract. The Yankees can get a lot better SS for a lot less money and get a lot younger in the process. I say CIAO Jeter , it was nice , but it’s over .

9. jfk69 - Nov 24, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Let him go play with his buddy Mr. Torre, See how that worked out..lol

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3222)