Nov 24, 2010, 12:30 PM EST
Here’s a neat post by Mark Simon over at ESPN New York today, looking at the Terry Collins Astros from the mid-90s in an effort to see what, if anything, can be gleaned about Collins’ NL managing style. While such an analysis has some obvious limitations, it’s useful, I think, because it shows how he did with a team in a low run-scoring environment (i.e. the Astrodome).
The upshot: Collins ran a lot, but his teams did so efficiently, they bunted a bit, but not to excess, and they scored a lot of runs, though not via the longball. While, no, the Mets don’t have anyone that can really compare to Biggio and Bagwell in their primes, for Mets fans who are worried about Citi Field, this stuff is at least somewhat encouraging, inasmuch as it suggests a guy who used the resources and environment he had at his disposal to their advantage.
And above all else, at least it’s data, and not silly bloviating about “intensity” and “fire” and “attitude” and whatnot. For those of you who dig that stuff, perhaps you should read this rather insightful article.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)