Bud Selig: law school professor

Nov 24, 2010, 1:01 PM EDT

Bud Selig defiant

Last week I rather snobbishly lamented the fact that our dear Commissioner of Baseball is not, like many of his predecessors, particularly intellectually accomplished or trained. He was not, prior to taking office, a judge or senator or general or and Ivy League president.  But he has improved his resume a bit since I wrote that. He’s now a law professor:

Major League Baseball Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig has been named to the adjunct faculty at Marquette University Law School as distinguished lecturer in sports law and policy.

“Bud Selig is, without question, one of the most skilled and accomplished professionals in the sports industry today,” said Joseph D. Kearney, dean of Marquette Law School. “We are truly honored that he would commit his time to our students and grateful that he’s chosen our classrooms as a place to pass down his significant wisdom to the next generation of leaders.”

Bud has actually lectured there for a couple of years. It’s just now being formalized as, you know, a thing.

And he’s fun in class too!  I’ve been trying to track it down, but I can’t find it: last year, during a lecture at Marquette, someone who was in the class emailed me to tell me that Bud had actually let slip some piece of commissioner news. Like a positive drug test or something. The news was officially announced later in the day. So I guess what I’m saying is that, if you’re a law student at Marquette, sign up for Bud’s class and drop me a line if you hear anything good. Cool?

My take: Bud won’t even be the best law school professor who knows a bit about baseball.  My first law school class at George Washington University Law School was in August 1995. Civil Procedure, with Professor Jonathan Siegel.  It was, as a matter of fact, his first law school class too, as he had just been hired away from the DOJ. The first thing Professor Siegel did was to start reading from the Official Rules of Baseball, with the purpose of showing us that all games have rules, and that as far as litigation is concerned, civil procedure — which many 1L’s find maddening — are merely the rules of the game.  I don’t know if Professor Siegel still does that, but I kinda hope he does.  Certainly beats opening up the civil rules and starting with “Rule 3 . . . Commencing an Action . . . .”

1. mattjg - Nov 24, 2010 at 1:20 PM

I have no idea how he is as a law professor, but The Good Phight’s David S. Cohen knows a bit about about baseball.

2. Utley's Hair - Nov 24, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Uh-oh…he’s slowing working his way toward sullying the profession Craig chose to prepare him to be a booger eating cellar dweller.

Does this mean that the antitrust exemption is not long for this world?

3. yankees1996 - Nov 24, 2010 at 2:47 PM

I believe that Mr. Kearney is in need of a drug test, and “no” not for steroids.

4. yankeesfanlen - Nov 24, 2010 at 3:30 PM

…..And here I thought you were going to tell the story of the 1996 World Series. Guess they have better teachers the further you go.

5. Old Gator - Nov 24, 2010 at 4:15 PM

I cannot imagine what it would be like to walk into a classroom in which Bud Light had just been…um…lecturing. Would his self-disorganizing stupidity linger like a hungry spirit? Would I forget all the research and preparation that had gone into my lesson plan and just stand there cluelessly spouting mindless, unfounded conjecture at my usuriously high tuition paying students? Would I only be able to snap myself out of it by reading a book of aphorisms by Oscar Wilde? Poor Marquette, but the kids at Madison can only feel so lucky by comparison

6. leez34 - Nov 24, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Tier III law school.

7. aious - Nov 24, 2010 at 4:27 PM

The idea of listening to him weekly would kill me…literally

8. Panda Claus - Nov 25, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Hey, if Jamie McCourt can do the legal thing, why not Bud? I mean if those two are involved in that profession, how hard can it really be? I can’t believe many things could actually set the legal field backwards, yet it just happened.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3212)