Nov 24, 2010, 2:18 PM EST
Bryan Bullington finally notched his first big-league win with eight shutout innings against the Yankees on August 15, eight years after the Pirates selected him with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2002 draft, but now it looks like that may prove to be his only major-league victory.
Designated for assignment by the Royals last week, Bullington has signed with the Hiroshima Carp in Japan and the 30-year-old right-hander leaves behind a career record of 1-9 with a 5.62 ERA in 81.2 innings as a major leaguer.
Bullington is one of just three pitchers selected No. 1 overall to win fewer than 15 games in the majors. The other two are Stephen Strasburg, whose career is on hold following elbow surgery, and Brien Taylor, whose career was ruined by a shoulder injury in the minors.
Bullington was picked one spot ahead of B.J. Upton in 2002, but the third (Chris Gruler), fourth (Adam Loewen), and fifth (Clint Everts) picks that year have also made essentially zero impact in the majors.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (158)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (133)