Nov 24, 2010, 12:18 PM EDT
Lance Berkman struggled for the Yankees after coming over in a July 31 trade and finished the season with an OPS below .800 for the first time in his career, but it sounds like the 34-year-old first baseman is getting plenty of interest as a free agent.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com calls the A’s “his most fervent suitor” and Carrie Muskat of MLB.com writes that “the Cubs are in pursuit of a first baseman this offseason and one option could be Berkman.”
Berkman has said previously that he’d like to remain a first baseman, but Daric Barton’s presence means he’d been primarily a designated hitter in Oakland. With the Cubs he could play first base and return to the National League, but it’s unclear exactly how interested they are in Berkman.
Even in a career-worst season Berkman got on base at a strong .368 clip and if his power returns somewhat a year removed from knee surgery he could be a nice one-year pickup.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)