Nov 24, 2010, 8:32 AM EST
Joe Posnanski, as he so often does, completely nails the Derek Jeter dynamic in his latest post. The upshot: we all know what’s going to happen. And we do:
We KNOW Derek Jeter will play for the New York Yankees in 2011. There is no chance for a surprise there. This is not 90% likely or 95% likely or even 99% likely. It is Hurricane Insurance In Kansas likely. There is simply no even remotely plausible scenario I can imagine where Derek Jeter goes.
I suspect that is why this story seems like so much fun. It gives us a lot of Yankeefreude and Jeterfreude, but at the same time, there’s not a real chance that this will end in a sad way. And I suspect that even the most anti-Yankees people out there would think it sad, at least on some level, if Jeter was missing grounders to his left for the Astros next year instead of the Yankees.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)