Quote of the Day: Posnanski on Jeter

Nov 24, 2010, 8:32 AM EDT

Texas Rangers v New York Yankees, Game 4 Getty Images

Joe Posnanski, as he so often does, completely nails the Derek Jeter dynamic in his latest post. The upshot: we all know what’s going to happen. And we do:

We KNOW Derek Jeter will play for the New York Yankees in 2011. There is no chance for a surprise there. This is not 90% likely or 95% likely or even 99% likely. It is Hurricane Insurance In Kansas likely. There is simply no even remotely plausible scenario I can imagine where Derek Jeter goes.

I suspect that is why this story seems like so much fun. It gives us a lot of Yankeefreude and Jeterfreude, but at the same time, there’s not a real chance that this will end in a sad way. And I suspect that even the most anti-Yankees people out there would think it sad, at least on some level, if Jeter was missing grounders to his left for the Astros next year instead of the Yankees.

1. proudlycanadian - Nov 24, 2010 at 8:41 AM

As a Jays fan, I want to have the pleasure of seeing Jeter miss ground balls for the Yankees.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 24, 2010 at 9:44 AM

If you’re a jays fan, you’ve been watching that the last 15 years =\

• proudlycanadian - Nov 24, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Eh? Thanks for admitting that Jeter has been a weak infielder for the last 15 years?

• dmvdmv101560 - Nov 24, 2010 at 11:44 AM

As a Jay’s fan you’ve also watched your team miss the playoffs for the past decade or so.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 24, 2010 at 12:27 PM

A complete non sequitur sir!

2. yankeesfanlen - Nov 24, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Newsflash: Mark Cuban buys the Astros in a surprise move. Pays $100M for the team, $120M to sign Beep-beep the Jete for 6 years. May they grow old together.

3. woodsmeister - Nov 24, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Serious props for the usage of Yankeefreude and Jeterfreude.

4. Jonny 5 - Nov 24, 2010 at 9:06 AM

I too humbly admit it gives me pleasure to see Jeter let ground balls bounce to the OF that most bench players would have gobbled up for an easy out. For the Yankees…….
    But it’s also very fun to watch this sideshow as well. Hey, If the Yankees are willing to hamstring themselves for more $$? I say go for it. I wonder if Chipper Jones is paying attention to this? Who is closer to Jeter for being “the face of the franchise” than any other player? I wonder what Chipper feels he’s is entitled to??

5. Joe - Nov 24, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Now I see how this will end – with Richard Gere carrying Derek Jeter in his arms.

Deep thought – Does Jeter risk soliciting bids from other teams, thereby giving the Yankees justification to lower their offer? “The market says you’re not worth $15 million, Jeets.” I say he doesn’t.

6. Jack Marshall - Nov 24, 2010 at 9:54 AM

It has already ended in a sad way: Derek Jeter has shown himself to be a venal ingrate, capable of extorting the team he supposedly leads for money he neither needs nor deserves. In the welter of Stan the Man tributes, it has been recalled how he voluntarily accepted a 20% pay cut from the Cardinals in 1960 (so, I believe, did Ted Williams) because he had an off-year. Jeter has shown that he doesn’t belong in the same class with these guys as franchise icons. Frankly, I expected better.

• yankeesfanlen - Nov 24, 2010 at 10:01 AM

BRAVO! A clear reflection on what’s happening.
      Let’s find a 26 year old SS, pay him $189M over 10 years then we won’t have to think about this today…….we can think about it tomorrow.

• bigharold - Nov 24, 2010 at 6:03 PM

What a pile of horse dung!

There isn’t a snowflakes chance in hell the Ted Williams remains a RS for his entire career if free agency existed during his time. He was so irascible he’d likely been on 3 or 4 teams.

As for Musial, as much as I respect him to say what he would or wouldn’t have done had he ever seen the light of free agency is wild speculation at best. The fact is most of the great players that were associated with one team the entire career prior to free agency most would have moved at least once for a better contract. Any of the living ones will tell you that the wish they would have had free agency. Unless of course you subscribe to the BS notion people were just plain better “back in the day”.

Jeter taking a stand on what he thinks he’s worth to the Yankees is his right. When he looks around and sees the contracts the Yankees have given to others recently he has good cause hold his ground. Like Musial, Jeter has always, comported himself like a professional and a grown up and this situation he’s done so too. He’s refrained from negotiation in public, while the Yankee FO that seems to think they need to win a public relations war. Regardless of whether anybody thinks he’s worth it or not the Yankees can afford to pay him what he’s asking. It’s their right to hold to their position as well. Making it a public spectacle is the real issue. That has been the Yankees doing not Jeter’s

If you insist on questioning Jeter’s worth as a SS fine but try keeping it to baseball facts and stats. But, please keep you asinine opinions regarding his character, motivations or integrity to yourself. You’ll look far less stupid and it’ll take up less space.

• Jack Marshall - Nov 24, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Nastiness and bluster are no substitute for an argument. It’s not speculation to guess what Williams, an iconoclast if there ever was one, would have done in a different context? I commented on what he did, which was give back money to his team that he could have taken and kept, because he wanted to earn it. He also retired while he was still an elite player. It’s too late for Jeter to do that, I’d say.

I’m not going to stoop to debate with someone who says bad conduct is someone’s right, which it often is, when the issue is whether exercising that right is noble, fair, or loyal.

So your idea of a fair price is what the employer can afford to pay, rather than what the fair market value is? Wow. Let me suggest that you bone up on logic, ethics, economics and common sense before you call anyone else “stupid.”

The public display is 100% Jeter’s fault, you silly person. All he had to do was to take the Yankees’ offer, which was excessively generous, and there would be no public controversy at all. I hope they tell him that it’s all he’s getting, and make him crawl. That’s what he deserves.

7. Jack Marshall - Nov 24, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Finally read Joe’s column, and I have to say, only a jaded Kansas City sportswriter could think that watching a Yankee idol and icon make it crystal clear that he is willing to tarnish his own reputation and look like a venal, selfish ass just to squeeze a few more bucks out of the team he supposedly bleeds pinstripes for, all while disillusioning the four baseball fans left in the U.S, who believe that the game means anything but money to their heroes, will be “fun.” I’m not even a Yankee fan, and it makes me sick.

8. jh0088 - Nov 24, 2010 at 12:24 PM

If you’re not a Yankee fan and you are using this time to bash the team and Jeter that is perfectly acceptable.

But to every fan of the Yanks out there I just want to say, that in my opinion, Jeter gets a lifetime pass from your scorn. In the history of the team you can name on one hand the number of other players who have came up so incredibly big for their team in the most important moments. He has given, you, the fan, memories that you will never forget and for that I think we, the public, if we love the Yankees, should do what the team and Jeter’s agent are not: keep the public chatter about how terrible a person Jeter is all of a sudden to the bare minimum.

As this post points out, Jeter is going to get signed. So what are you going to do then? Are you going to boo him on Opening Day? Are you going to turn your backs in disgust when he reaches 3000 hits? Of course not.

This is just like when your best friend comes to you and says he just broke up with his long time girlfriend and you start to trash her to him. You say all of these horrible things and then they get back together and now you wind up losing your best friend over it. Enough people.

Even throughout all of these negotiations, let’s realize that it is Jeter’s Agent and members of the Yankee front office who are coming out making these very public statements. Jeter himself, has not said a word. He isn’t on ESPN complaining that he isn’t gettting respected. He doesn’t have a reality show like some football players I can mention. And he isn’t either publically trashing the Yanks or telling us how great he is in order to justify his salary.

Jeter is handling it exactly the way he always has: privately. Which quite frankly, every Yankee fan should applaud and remember that this man helped to create dozens of memories for you and your children for the last 15 years.

• Jack Marshall - Nov 24, 2010 at 12:57 PM

You can’t be THAT naive. Do you even know what an “agent” is? An agent speaks for the principal. If the agent speaks, that is Jeter speaking….legally, factually, in reality. And nothing he has done on the field excuses or justifies his conduct. He should take the Yankees’ respectful and generous offer, and say, “Thank you.” And if he had half the class everyone had been attributing to him all these years, that’s what he would do.

• jh0088 - Nov 24, 2010 at 1:52 PM

No bro, sorry, but I deal with agents in my business all day every day. They are not simply mouth pieces, they are deal makers whose job description is to get the most money for their clients. Sure the clients sign off on asking for more money but the way each individual agent goes about his duties says alot about the agent, not the client. There isn’t any reason to be doing any of this in the media. And that is the agent’s fault not Jeter’s.

If the agent really had his client’s best interest at heart, and not just his bottom line, he would see all of the negative backlash that has come Jeter’s way because this is in the public and he would realize he is hurting him, not helping.

It’s why I say Jeter should take a page from Arod here and fire the agent, sit down with Cashman and iron out the money and years over lunch then have his attorney work out the specific language of the contract.

But the real meaning behind my post wasn’t about the agent, it’s about Yankee fans who are acting very hypocritical in this situation. The same people who are calling him a jackass now are going to be cheering for him in six months. If you are a Yankee fan, Jack, and you go to a game, are you going to boo Jeter because of all this? Are you going to taunt him and scream during batting practice that he needs to get out of town? If you are a Yankee fan, then of course you aren’t. You’re going to be thrilled when he gets 3000 hits. You’re going to love the fact that this icon played for your favorite team his entire career and you’re going to tell your grandkids all about how you saw Derek Jeter play.

And you’re not going to talk about how when his contract was up Jeter asked for more money than people thought he was worth and what an ungrateful bastard he is.

And that’s my point. There is too much hypocricy from the fan base here when it comes to Jeter, who is actually staying out of the fray and should yank back his agent, and the Yankees, from continuing to put these reports in the media.

9. Jack Marshall - Nov 24, 2010 at 2:19 PM

jh—Absolutely, if Jeter doesn’t agree with his agent’s public comments, then he has to fire him, or accept responsibility for what the agent says—he hired the guy.

And I agree that fans need to stick to their guns. I’ve been a Jeter fan, not a Yankees fan, for a long time; I’ve seen him kill my team a million different ways, and I thought he was the ultimate class act. But no more.

• daninkatonah - Nov 24, 2010 at 2:29 PM

More than almost any player I can recall, Jeter is media savvy and in control of his image. If you think for a moment that the statements by his agent were unapproved, you are delusional. The agent is saying the things that Jeter does not want to say directly. If it were any other case, Jeter would go public and correct/admonish. But what you get is silence, which to me means approval.

I do not begrudge Jeter the desire to get as much as he can, just like any one of us would do. But you can’t have your cake and eat it too – if he is the new Mr. Yankee, then he should agree to a more reasonable deal. Cashman’s statements are absolutely true and I am sure he was not relishing having to make them. That, to me, is a signal that Jeter and his people would not be reasonable and come off a ridiculous number (years or $). But then again, if he really and truly had the best interests of the team in mind, he would have moved off of shortstop a long time ago.

• Jack Marshall - Nov 24, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Bingo.

10. Chris Fiorentino - Nov 24, 2010 at 3:13 PM

I hate the Yankers, but I have always respected El Capitan. Dude deserves to get A-Rod esque bonuses for getting his 3,000 the hit in a Yankers uniform. In all the years of greatness of the New York Yankers, not a single player has EVER gotten his 3,000 hit in a Yankers uniform. Ever. 500th HR? Check. But 3,000th hit? Nope. Never has happened. Jeter will get it this year. His reward? A 20% paycut. Screw that. A-Rod will make more money for 2 of his steroid-tainted home runs than Jeter will for the entire 2011 season. Doesn’t anybody see the inherent unfairness in that?

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3655)