Nov 24, 2010, 10:48 AM EST
When offered arbitration Type B free agents allow their old team to pick up a draft pick between the first and second rounds, but because their new team doesn’t have to give up anything to sign them their market value isn’t impacted by whether or not the arbitration is offered.
However, with Type A free agents who’re offered arbitration their old team is in line to receive a draft pick between the first and second rounds plus their new team’s first-round pick.
In other words, Type A free agents who are offered arbitration cost a first-round draft pick to sign while Type A free agents not offered arbitration require no compensation, in many cases making their market value heavily dependent on the arbitration status.
All of which is why it’s interesting that just 14 out of the 29 free agents classified as Type A were offered arbitration yesterday, making the other 15 free to sign without compensation changing hands. Here are the complete lists …
Type A free agents offered arbitration:
Jorge De La Rosa
Type A free agents not offered arbitration:
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)