Nov 24, 2010, 5:09 PM EDT
Vlad Guerrero has won the Edgar Martinez Award, which is given to the league’s best DH. As Aaron pointed out back when Silver Sluggers were announced, Vlad had no business winning any awards that purport to honor the best DH. By all rights, David Ortiz deserved it. Aaron established that pretty conclusively. Of course, Ortiz won the thing every year from 2003 through 2007, so maybe they’re tired of him.
The bigger question: While Edgar Martinez is a fine person for this award to be named after, how did it not get a name until Martinez was venerable enough to deserve the honor? Why wasn’t this, like, the Hal McRae award back in the early 80s?
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 17
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)