Nov 24, 2010, 5:09 PM EST
Vlad Guerrero has won the Edgar Martinez Award, which is given to the league’s best DH. As Aaron pointed out back when Silver Sluggers were announced, Vlad had no business winning any awards that purport to honor the best DH. By all rights, David Ortiz deserved it. Aaron established that pretty conclusively. Of course, Ortiz won the thing every year from 2003 through 2007, so maybe they’re tired of him.
The bigger question: While Edgar Martinez is a fine person for this award to be named after, how did it not get a name until Martinez was venerable enough to deserve the honor? Why wasn’t this, like, the Hal McRae award back in the early 80s?
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 2
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 18
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 15
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 144
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)