Nov 24, 2010, 5:09 PM EDT
Vlad Guerrero has won the Edgar Martinez Award, which is given to the league’s best DH. As Aaron pointed out back when Silver Sluggers were announced, Vlad had no business winning any awards that purport to honor the best DH. By all rights, David Ortiz deserved it. Aaron established that pretty conclusively. Of course, Ortiz won the thing every year from 2003 through 2007, so maybe they’re tired of him.
The bigger question: While Edgar Martinez is a fine person for this award to be named after, how did it not get a name until Martinez was venerable enough to deserve the honor? Why wasn’t this, like, the Hal McRae award back in the early 80s?
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)