Nov 24, 2010, 5:09 PM EDT
Vlad Guerrero has won the Edgar Martinez Award, which is given to the league’s best DH. As Aaron pointed out back when Silver Sluggers were announced, Vlad had no business winning any awards that purport to honor the best DH. By all rights, David Ortiz deserved it. Aaron established that pretty conclusively. Of course, Ortiz won the thing every year from 2003 through 2007, so maybe they’re tired of him.
The bigger question: While Edgar Martinez is a fine person for this award to be named after, how did it not get a name until Martinez was venerable enough to deserve the honor? Why wasn’t this, like, the Hal McRae award back in the early 80s?
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)