Call me crazy, but I would offer more than $800K for Manny Ramirez

Nov 26, 2010, 10:50 AM EDT

Chicago White Sox v Oakland Athletics Getty Images

Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos was asked about the possibility of the team going after Manny Ramirez the other day.  Specifically, he was asked about Ramirez’s reputation as a pain in the butt.  Anthopoulos’ response: “You have to weigh each case by itself. If it’s the right player, the right fit, the right talent at the right price, you’ve got to be open to it.”

This makes perfect sense to me, as does the notion that Ramirez would be a good fit in Toronto.  What has me scratching my head a bit is the sentiment out there that has Manny only being worth a nothin’ contract with tons of incentives.  This morning Buster Olney said “if he is willing to accept an $800,000 base salary with a lot of incentive clauses,” teams would maybe think about signing him.

Really?  Heck, if he’d take $800K I’d consider him for my everyday left field slot.  No, he’s not what he was, but last year he was injured a lot. When he did play, his rate stats were .298/.409/.460.  That ain’t bad.  And if I were a betting man I’d wager that if he plays DH someplace next year he’ll outperform Vlad Guerrero’s 2010.

$800,000?  I’d offer the guy a few million.

1. apbaguy - Nov 26, 2010 at 11:49 AM

I think somebody will offer up to $5M. It’s a bet. For lot of teams, even the A’s, $5M is money they can afford to lose. The big teams can make several of those $5M bets, especially when you can probably make a mid-year trade for $1M plus a mid-tier prospect if you have to.

2. dodger88 - Nov 26, 2010 at 11:57 AM

For a team like the Jays, contending in 2011 is not out of the realm of possibility but it will take several factors going their way. If their budget can handle upwards of $5 million, they should take a gamble on Manny. If he were to play 125+ games and put up a line of .298/.409/.460 again that would allow the Jays to check off one of the factors they need to contend.

3. metalhead65 - Nov 26, 2010 at 11:59 AM

seriously you are the guy that says jeter is old and washed up and can’t do it anymore and should be happy just to get a paycheck,yet you would overpay a guy who is the very defination of washed up?please spare me all those awsome stats you geeks come up with and look at what he did for the dodgers and white sox when he decided to play last year. or haven’t you come up with a only plays when he wants to stat yet?yea the guy can hit if he feels like it and if he is not getting paid millions more than what he is worth will not feel like it, but how many runs does he give up trying to play the field?face it the guy is everything that is wrong with sports today!selfish me first where is my money treat me with respect or I don’t play kind of guy but you would still want him on your team over jeter? that is why you only write about basball instead of actualy run a club.

• Craig Calcaterra - Nov 26, 2010 at 12:02 PM

“seriously you are the guy that says jeter is old and washed up and can’t do it anymore and should be happy just to get a paycheck”

If you can find anyplace where I’ve ever said anything of the sort, by all means, point it out to me. I like reading new things.

That aside, I believe it’s possible to think that $15 million a year is adequate for Derek Jeter while also believing that $800K is low for Manny Ramirez. If you’re unable to find the daylight between those propositions, I have many things I would like to sell you, because you’d be able to fund my retirement.

• tomemos - Nov 26, 2010 at 4:26 PM

“that is why you only write about basball instead of actualy run a club.”

Do YOU run a club? Is this, I don’t know, Pat Gillick or somebody posting as “metalhead65″?

4. Richard In Big D - Nov 26, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Funny you should mention Vlad, since his roster spot in Texas is wide open now. Hmmmm…

• mtner77 - Nov 26, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Dick,

It is funny you should mention the Rangers’. There was a report on here the other day that Texas was in the very opening stages of long-term contract talks with Josh Hamilton. If I were Josh’s reps, I would hold off on the long-term talks for a bit and head for arbitration, using Jeter as my yardstick, Let’s see, if Jeter really is worth $15mil./year (not a chance!) than what does that make Hamilton worth? $50mil./year? $60mil./year?

5. largebill - Nov 26, 2010 at 3:52 PM

It is easy to make major spending decisions with other peoples money. If Manny can play full time and stay happy and produce as he did in years past . . . then sure he is worth quite a bit more than $800k. However, with his age, quirkiness, and lack of suiters, etc an incentive laden contract is the most prudent route to take. Truth be told most players past age 35 should be on contract with some incentives. However, if there are multiple teams desiring a player’s services then it is harder to get those kind of concessions. As it is now, only players attempting to make a comeback agree to incentives.

Orioles turn AL East on its head