Nov 26, 2010, 10:50 AM EDT
Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos was asked about the possibility of the team going after Manny Ramirez the other day. Specifically, he was asked about Ramirez’s reputation as a pain in the butt. Anthopoulos’ response: “You have to weigh each case by itself. If it’s the right player, the right fit, the right talent at the right price, you’ve got to be open to it.”
This makes perfect sense to me, as does the notion that Ramirez would be a good fit in Toronto. What has me scratching my head a bit is the sentiment out there that has Manny only being worth a nothin’ contract with tons of incentives. This morning Buster Olney said “if he is willing to accept an $800,000 base salary with a lot of incentive clauses,” teams would maybe think about signing him.
Really? Heck, if he’d take $800K I’d consider him for my everyday left field slot. No, he’s not what he was, but last year he was injured a lot. When he did play, his rate stats were .298/.409/.460. That ain’t bad. And if I were a betting man I’d wager that if he plays DH someplace next year he’ll outperform Vlad Guerrero’s 2010.
$800,000? I’d offer the guy a few million.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)