Nov 26, 2010, 10:50 AM EDT
Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos was asked about the possibility of the team going after Manny Ramirez the other day. Specifically, he was asked about Ramirez’s reputation as a pain in the butt. Anthopoulos’ response: “You have to weigh each case by itself. If it’s the right player, the right fit, the right talent at the right price, you’ve got to be open to it.”
This makes perfect sense to me, as does the notion that Ramirez would be a good fit in Toronto. What has me scratching my head a bit is the sentiment out there that has Manny only being worth a nothin’ contract with tons of incentives. This morning Buster Olney said “if he is willing to accept an $800,000 base salary with a lot of incentive clauses,” teams would maybe think about signing him.
Really? Heck, if he’d take $800K I’d consider him for my everyday left field slot. No, he’s not what he was, but last year he was injured a lot. When he did play, his rate stats were .298/.409/.460. That ain’t bad. And if I were a betting man I’d wager that if he plays DH someplace next year he’ll outperform Vlad Guerrero’s 2010.
$800,000? I’d offer the guy a few million.
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 26
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 110
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 31
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Royals’ bullpen blows no-hit bid in the eighth inning against the Tigers 7
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)