Nov 26, 2010, 10:50 AM EDT
Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos was asked about the possibility of the team going after Manny Ramirez the other day. Specifically, he was asked about Ramirez’s reputation as a pain in the butt. Anthopoulos’ response: “You have to weigh each case by itself. If it’s the right player, the right fit, the right talent at the right price, you’ve got to be open to it.”
This makes perfect sense to me, as does the notion that Ramirez would be a good fit in Toronto. What has me scratching my head a bit is the sentiment out there that has Manny only being worth a nothin’ contract with tons of incentives. This morning Buster Olney said “if he is willing to accept an $800,000 base salary with a lot of incentive clauses,” teams would maybe think about signing him.
Really? Heck, if he’d take $800K I’d consider him for my everyday left field slot. No, he’s not what he was, but last year he was injured a lot. When he did play, his rate stats were .298/.409/.460. That ain’t bad. And if I were a betting man I’d wager that if he plays DH someplace next year he’ll outperform Vlad Guerrero’s 2010.
$800,000? I’d offer the guy a few million.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 0
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 2
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 20
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury