Nov 26, 2010, 1:13 PM EST
Another slow day, as all the agents and players and front office people and reporters are apparently out fighting to get cheap toasters and stuff out in that retail hellscape. People: shop online. Really.
Anyway, to pass some time, you should read this really interesting article by Elizabeth Merrill and Amy K. Nelson of ESPN.com. It’s about athlete infidelity, but it takes a smarter and more in-depth look at the topic than your usual batch of “OMG FAVRE! OMG TIGER WOODS!” stories. They talk to the wives and an ex-mistress or two, and dwell on athletes other than the big marquee names. Like Delino DeShields:
Then one day in late 2003, a woman called their home in Atlanta. She told Tisha she’d been having an affair with Delino for seven years. She said she was calling because Delino was now cheating on her.
The details were devastating and were laid out in painstaking clarity. The woman described how hotel rooms and other arrangements were paid for in cash and made by Delino’s assistant. The same assistant who was a family friend and helped Tisha when her husband was on the road.
Shocking. I mean: Delino DeShields had a personal assistant?
And even if you don’t care about that, you have to read it for the story about the football player with the GPS in his BMW. They should name awards after that guy.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27