Nov 26, 2010, 1:13 PM EDT
Another slow day, as all the agents and players and front office people and reporters are apparently out fighting to get cheap toasters and stuff out in that retail hellscape. People: shop online. Really.
Anyway, to pass some time, you should read this really interesting article by Elizabeth Merrill and Amy K. Nelson of ESPN.com. It’s about athlete infidelity, but it takes a smarter and more in-depth look at the topic than your usual batch of “OMG FAVRE! OMG TIGER WOODS!” stories. They talk to the wives and an ex-mistress or two, and dwell on athletes other than the big marquee names. Like Delino DeShields:
Then one day in late 2003, a woman called their home in Atlanta. She told Tisha she’d been having an affair with Delino for seven years. She said she was calling because Delino was now cheating on her.
The details were devastating and were laid out in painstaking clarity. The woman described how hotel rooms and other arrangements were paid for in cash and made by Delino’s assistant. The same assistant who was a family friend and helped Tisha when her husband was on the road.
Shocking. I mean: Delino DeShields had a personal assistant?
And even if you don’t care about that, you have to read it for the story about the football player with the GPS in his BMW. They should name awards after that guy.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 22
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (219)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)