Nov 26, 2010, 4:44 PM EDT
“The recently rumored terms of our contract extension are simply inaccurate.”
I accept that. But what I want to know — and what isn’t clear from this denial — is whether Jeter was ever asking for that. Because if he was asking for such a thing at the outset, it would go a long way towards explaining why this negotiation has gotten into the mess that it’s in. A denial of current status tells us very little.
If Jeter was never asking for that, then or now, then Bill Madden has quite possibly been taken for a ride by a source. If he was asking that or something close to it, then Casey Close is trying to take us all for a ride.
- Orioles finally lose a game when leading after seven 1
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 9
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 6
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 29
- Report: Mets considering demoting Ike Davis 5
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3