Nov 26, 2010, 4:44 PM EST
“The recently rumored terms of our contract extension are simply inaccurate.”
I accept that. But what I want to know — and what isn’t clear from this denial — is whether Jeter was ever asking for that. Because if he was asking for such a thing at the outset, it would go a long way towards explaining why this negotiation has gotten into the mess that it’s in. A denial of current status tells us very little.
If Jeter was never asking for that, then or now, then Bill Madden has quite possibly been taken for a ride by a source. If he was asking that or something close to it, then Casey Close is trying to take us all for a ride.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)