Nov 26, 2010, 4:44 PM EDT
“The recently rumored terms of our contract extension are simply inaccurate.”
I accept that. But what I want to know — and what isn’t clear from this denial — is whether Jeter was ever asking for that. Because if he was asking for such a thing at the outset, it would go a long way towards explaining why this negotiation has gotten into the mess that it’s in. A denial of current status tells us very little.
If Jeter was never asking for that, then or now, then Bill Madden has quite possibly been taken for a ride by a source. If he was asking that or something close to it, then Casey Close is trying to take us all for a ride.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17