Jeter’s agent: the $150 million demand is “simply inaccurate”

Nov 26, 2010, 4:44 PM EDT

mlb_jeter

Tim Brown from Yahoo! and Marc Carig from the Star-Ledger both report that Casey Close, the agent for Derek Jeter, is denying that Jeter is asking for $25 million a year over six years. Close:

“The recently rumored terms of our contract extension are simply inaccurate.”

I accept that. But what I want to know — and what isn’t clear from this denial — is whether Jeter was ever asking for that.  Because if he was asking for such a thing at the outset, it would go a long way towards explaining why this negotiation has gotten into the mess that it’s in.  A denial of current status tells us very little.

If Jeter was never asking for that, then or now, then Bill Madden has quite possibly been taken for a ride by a source. If he was asking that or something close to it, then Casey Close is trying to take us all for a ride.

1. jetersusedjersey - Nov 26, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Jeter is worth 3/24 with his current skills, but deserves 3/60. The jersey has spoken!

• uyf1950 - Nov 26, 2010 at 5:56 PM

If I were the Yankees I’d max out at 3 years $51M total. If that’s not good enough so be it and both parties can move on.

2. uyf1950 - Nov 26, 2010 at 5:53 PM

If we are to take Mr. Close at his word that the “$150M demand is simply inaccurate” he can set the record straight very easily. List the chronology of the negotiations and the salary offers and demands starting from day 1. Then there will be no inaccuracies. That shouldn’t be difficult.

3. bigharold - Nov 26, 2010 at 6:08 PM

“But what I want to know — and what isn’t clear from this denial — is whether Jeter was ever asking for that.”

Craig you are clearly missing the point!

The point here is that the Yankees have badly mismanaged this negotiation from the very start with their attempt to gain public support. They would have been better served to keep quite and let Jeter come to them without all the very public acrimony. Let Jeter quietly come to realize his best contract offer was going to come from the Yankees, .. by far. Now they’ve added a level of complexity and difficulty that will not be easy to over come. And there was no reason for it.

It is an ill conceived, poorly thought out and flawed strategy. It says far more about the current Yankee owners and FO than Jeter. I don’t see why they think publicly humiliating Jeter is in the long term best interest of the Yankees. The Yankee brass is demonstrating far more hubris than Jeter is being cited for. And they are doing so needlessly and against their own interest.

• fquaye149 - Nov 26, 2010 at 7:11 PM

How many does it take to tango, again? Billy Idol said you could dance by yourself, but I think that was innuendo…

4. iranuke - Nov 26, 2010 at 6:20 PM

My guess is that the $150 million figure came from a statement similar to: “If you want to treat Jetter as well as you are treating A-Rod, then you would sign him to a contract of 6 years at $25 million per year.” The statement is true in a comparative way, but obviously foolish.

5. anythingbutyanks - Nov 26, 2010 at 7:06 PM

I hate the Yankees more than anything, but if I were Brian Cashman I’d be shopping for some FA short stops right about now. Puts the pressure on Jeter and leaves you in a good place if you truly are at an impasse.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet