Nov 26, 2010, 7:12 AM EDT
That according to Bill Madden of the Daily News. It was at least his starting point, and even if he has come down in terms of length — which is a possibility — Madden says that Jeter is still insisting on a $25 million per year deal. Madden credits that to “sources close to the Jeter/Close camp,” so unless he’s just lying, this is not some team talking point designed to cast Jeter in a greedy light.
Even if you subscribe to the most robust “Derek Jeter is the Alpha and Omega of the Yankee Brand” theory — which I don’t — that is pure madness. $25 million, even over a shorter period of time is crazy. A six-year deal at almost any average annual value to which one could envision Jeter agreeing is likewise nuts. The two together? Mercy.
If Madden is correct about these figures, it explains why the Yankees have been making the statements they have made about Jeter’s age and skills and about how he should test the market. There is clearly a reality deficit disorder on the player’s side, and the only way to deal with delusion so strong is to throw some cold water on it.
And if Jeter is still demanding something like this Brian Cashman should issue a simple response: Enjoy San Francisco, Derek.
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 3
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 20
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 23
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)