Nov 26, 2010, 7:12 AM EST
That according to Bill Madden of the Daily News. It was at least his starting point, and even if he has come down in terms of length — which is a possibility — Madden says that Jeter is still insisting on a $25 million per year deal. Madden credits that to “sources close to the Jeter/Close camp,” so unless he’s just lying, this is not some team talking point designed to cast Jeter in a greedy light.
Even if you subscribe to the most robust “Derek Jeter is the Alpha and Omega of the Yankee Brand” theory — which I don’t — that is pure madness. $25 million, even over a shorter period of time is crazy. A six-year deal at almost any average annual value to which one could envision Jeter agreeing is likewise nuts. The two together? Mercy.
If Madden is correct about these figures, it explains why the Yankees have been making the statements they have made about Jeter’s age and skills and about how he should test the market. There is clearly a reality deficit disorder on the player’s side, and the only way to deal with delusion so strong is to throw some cold water on it.
And if Jeter is still demanding something like this Brian Cashman should issue a simple response: Enjoy San Francisco, Derek.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 290
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (306)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)