Nov 26, 2010, 7:12 AM EDT
That according to Bill Madden of the Daily News. It was at least his starting point, and even if he has come down in terms of length — which is a possibility — Madden says that Jeter is still insisting on a $25 million per year deal. Madden credits that to “sources close to the Jeter/Close camp,” so unless he’s just lying, this is not some team talking point designed to cast Jeter in a greedy light.
Even if you subscribe to the most robust “Derek Jeter is the Alpha and Omega of the Yankee Brand” theory — which I don’t — that is pure madness. $25 million, even over a shorter period of time is crazy. A six-year deal at almost any average annual value to which one could envision Jeter agreeing is likewise nuts. The two together? Mercy.
If Madden is correct about these figures, it explains why the Yankees have been making the statements they have made about Jeter’s age and skills and about how he should test the market. There is clearly a reality deficit disorder on the player’s side, and the only way to deal with delusion so strong is to throw some cold water on it.
And if Jeter is still demanding something like this Brian Cashman should issue a simple response: Enjoy San Francisco, Derek.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 55
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 34
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 12
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 65
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games