Madness: Derek Jeter wants six years, $150 million

Nov 26, 2010, 7:12 AM EDT

Derek Jeter triple

That according to Bill Madden of the Daily News. It was at least his starting point, and even if he has come down in terms of length — which is a possibility — Madden says that Jeter is still insisting on a $25 million per year deal.  Madden credits that to “sources close to the Jeter/Close camp,” so unless he’s just lying, this is not some team talking point designed to cast Jeter in a greedy light.

Even if you subscribe to the most robust “Derek Jeter is the Alpha and Omega of the Yankee Brand” theory — which I don’t — that is pure madness. $25 million, even over a shorter period of time is crazy. A six-year deal at almost any average annual value to which one could envision Jeter agreeing is likewise nuts. The two together? Mercy.

If Madden is correct about these figures, it explains why the Yankees have been making the statements they have made about Jeter’s age and skills and about how he should test the market. There is clearly a reality deficit disorder on the player’s side, and the only way to deal with delusion so strong is to throw some cold water on it.

And if Jeter is still demanding something like this Brian Cashman should issue a simple response: Enjoy San Francisco, Derek.

1. Kevin S. - Nov 26, 2010 at 7:39 AM

Wanting is not getting, from the Yankees or the Giants or whomever. The only way what Jeter wants is relevant is if he pulls a Hakeem Olajuwon. If he’s willing to take a significantly-lower offer and destroy his brand over ego, let him go. The Yankees will survive. Jeter will fade into the history books much quicker than he would have otherwise.

2. phillysoulfan - Nov 26, 2010 at 8:11 AM

This is so simple, really. What Jeter should say is “I’ll play for you for $1 a year. Just give me all the proceeds to the merchandise with my name and/or number on it.”

• mangothefruit - Nov 26, 2010 at 9:21 AM

I doubt the MLB or MLBPA would let that fly.

• lardin - Nov 26, 2010 at 10:22 AM

You are aware the Yankees dont get the money from selling Derek Jeter jerseys, right? MLB gets that money and then distributes it among the 30 teams…

3. stchoo - Nov 26, 2010 at 8:15 AM

If he gets 6 years 150 Millions, then Vernon Wells no longer has the worst contract in MLB.

• paperlions - Nov 26, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Vernon Wells already doesn’t have the worst MLB contract. That now belongs to Ryan Howard.

4. Glenn - Nov 26, 2010 at 9:59 AM

If this is true, it all goes back to the ARod contract and renegotiation. I don’t think Jeter’s ego can handle not getting the same ridiculous treatment that ARod got. No matter how this plays out, there’s going to be some bad feelings going into next year.

5. uyf1950 - Nov 26, 2010 at 10:19 AM

In the words of that famous entertainer Bob Hope “thanks for the memories”. If Jeter is even expecting half of what the article talks about he’s wacky. Either he greatly over estimates his value or he greatly under estimates the resolve of the sons or both. If this keeps up I guess the Yankees can retire that recording of the “Voice of God” introducing Jeter in the line up at Yankee games. Like I said “thanks for the memories”. I hope he enjoys playing for some other club.

6. pisano - Nov 26, 2010 at 10:32 AM

The Yankees should find themselves a SS asap. This guy is out of his mind. I am sick and tired of his outrages demands. If the Yankees are smart they should acquire the best SS out there, either by trade or free agent and let this ingrate test the market and when he comes crawling back tell him sorry we are going with a younger and more cost affective SS. I hope the Yankees pull their offer off the table and move on.

7. thinman61 - Nov 26, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Funny what happens when Captain Overrated is no longer overrated by the team (and fans of the team) he plays for. Schadenfreude, I has it.

8. Glenn - Nov 26, 2010 at 10:46 AM

I love how the Yankee fan comments at the Daily News mention “letting Jeter go to the Red Sox”. Though the Sox have been pretty stupid with shortstops in the past few years, paying Rentaria and Lugo to play for other teams, even they realize that Jeter’s maximum value to the Red Sox is if he is playing shortstop for the Yankees until he is 40.

9. yankeesfanlen - Nov 26, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Paging Johnny Damon! Please call Beep-beep the Jete immediately!

10. yankees1996 - Nov 26, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Derek, Derek, Derek, this is WAY beyond insanity and stupidity. There is no way that you are worth that kind of time and money and that is coming from one of your fans. You need to rethink this contract thing and do it in a hurry. If you did not receive an A-Rod type contract when you were younger there is no chance that you are going to receive one now and I hate to tell you this but you were not and are not now the caliber of player that A-Rod was or is. Stop this madness and bickering and get a fair deal, which I believe has already been offered and sign the thing and lets move on. Your just not worth six years and $150 million, end of discussion!

• uyf1950 - Nov 26, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Well said!

• pisano - Nov 26, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Your being too kind to him, he’s not worth anywhere near the Yankee offer. That offer is to appease the fans. I say dump him and get a SS under thirty with a future. They have Nunez and alot of teams are calling about him, wouldn’t that tell you other teams are seeing something in this young SS. Jeter is the past, the Yankees need to get younger anyway.

• uyf1950 - Nov 26, 2010 at 2:08 PM

To pisano – I’m not sure throwing a 23 year old Nunez to the wolfs is the solution. Replacing Jeter because he is such a fan favorite will take take someone with mental toughness for the first couple of years. If Nunez starts to struggle right out of the gate the fans and the media will eat him alive no matter what his potential. The Yankees do need to get younger and the SS position is a premier position especially with the Yankees. They need an “established” younger player not someone with barely 31 games (only 11 of those at SS) under his belt in the Major Leagues. Nunez time will come, but now isn’t his time.

11. uyf1950 - Nov 26, 2010 at 11:25 AM

If this isn’t settled by the Baseball Meeting in Orlando starting Dec. 6th it’s time to move on. Either the Yankees should look for a SS or move ARod back to SS and look for a 3rd baseman. If the Yankees were to replace Jeter it might be a blessing. Gardner can move up to the lead off spot where he has the most value. The Yankees should be able to get a little more consistency in their line up unlike last season. With Jeter batting 1st or 2nd, Gardner batting 1st, 2nd, 8th or 9th, Granderson batting 2nd, 6th or 7th. Permanently replacing Jeter in the line up removes a lot of the uncertainty in the rest of the line up. Just a thought, but it might not be the worse thing that could happen.

12. uyf1950 - Nov 26, 2010 at 11:35 AM

It will be interesting to see how in the world Lupika can paint the Yankees as the bad guy’s after this. But I’m sure he will find a way.

13. yankees1996 - Nov 26, 2010 at 11:40 AM

@uyf1950 – I truly do not see or really want to see Jeter leave the Yankees, but I agree with your roster moves in your post. This type of crap is only a small part of what is wrong with all pro sports today. I would be interested to hear from Jeter or his agent just how they came up with their figures for his contract request. I cannot believe I am saying this but maybe the Yankees next move in this process should be to contact Adrain Beltre and offer him 3 years @ $45 million and see what he says, if he agrees then Jeter would be free as a bird to chase his $150 milllion rainbow.

• uyf1950 - Nov 26, 2010 at 1:33 PM

To yankees1996 – I was thinking the same thing about Beltre. But it would probably take at least 4 or 5 years at $55 to 65M total. If the Yankees were to offer that and Beltre were to accept I think he would be about the same age in 4 or 5 years as Jeter is now. Even if the contract offer didn’t fly it certainly would make the Red Sox think about what they need to do to keep him away from the Yankees.

14. metalhead65 - Nov 26, 2010 at 11:43 AM

I am one of the biggest yankee haters out there but after reading all this anit-jeter crap all I can say is wow! all the guy is doing is the same thing players have been doing since there was a free agency and that is get as much money as possible. he knows he is not going to get what he is asking but he can still do it without hearing from you experts with all your super stats that he is now washed and doesn’t deserve anything. like I said I hate the yankees and would love to see him take whatever offer he could find out there and let the yankees buy one of those young and better players and fail yet again to make the playoffs.hey playing for the reds might not be such a bad option for him after all since they are a young winning team whose mgr. loves veteran leadership.

• yankees1996 - Nov 26, 2010 at 12:04 PM

@metalhead65 – There is no anti ( I believe is what you meant to say) Jeter crap here but reality has got to be considered in these contract talks. There is no way Jeter is going to get a $150 million for six years to play for anyone including the Yankees, but more to the point why should anyone including the Yanks over pay Jeter? If you went into a store and saw the most awesome picture on a plasma tv that has ever been seen and you asked the salesman how much it cost and he told you the tv cost $25000.00 but it would only work for six months would you be inclined to purchase the tv?, I am thinking… NO. That is where the Yankees are at with Jeter is he their best option to play SS next season and a year or two after, Yes he is, but is he the best for the next 5 or 6 years no probably not. There is no disdain or hatred of Jeter from me as a matter of fact he is one of my favorite Yankees and I have been a fan for a long, long time, but I agree with the Steinbrenners this is business plain and simple and athletes live and die in a what have you done for me lately environment and Jeter did not have a great 2010 campaign, should he paid well Yes, but should he be paid fairly the answer again is Yes! He should not be asking for or expecting ridiculous amounts of money per year or a large number of years on his new contract because he just is not worth it at age 36. It seems that athletes have a harder time dealing with their age than some women do but it is a factor that must be considered.

• uyf1950 - Nov 26, 2010 at 1:27 PM

To metalhead65 – I believe most if not all of the true Yankee fans that have posted here or are posting are not “anti” Jeter. They are anti lunacy. If true the demands that have been circulated about Jeter’s salary are those of a “crazy” person. Jeter needs to stop living in the world of make believe and start to accept the fact that his defensive skills and offensive skills are deteriorating and will only deteriorate move over time. And that the Yankees offer of 3 years at $15M is far more then he should receive based purely on his anticipated on field performance over then next few years. The Yankees are willing to pay and over pay him. Most Yankee fans accept that and want Jeter back, but NOT at any cost and certainly not at a cost that handcuffs the Yankees in the future both monetarily or more importantly from a competitive on field standpoint. That limits their ability to win. That’s just the way it is. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again no one player is bigger then the Yankees not even Jeter.

15. Robert - Nov 26, 2010 at 12:35 PM

16. oldfanjoe - Nov 27, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Yeah, yeah, I know that the owners and MLB and the networks are making money, too, but….

It’s a sad place we’ve come to in sports when the money is simply a way to keep score in the ego competition. Whatever Jeter sgns for, he’ll finish his career with more money than he, his children and his grandchildren can possibly spend in their lifetimes. And the proce of tickets goes up.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4903)