Nov 26, 2010, 3:32 PM EDT
Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times reports that the Dodgers have agreed to a contract with Jon Garland. It’s a one year deal for $5 million with $3 million in potential bonuses and a vesting option for a second year if he reaches 190 innings. Given Garland’s durability, he’s probably a safe bet to reach the option benchmark. It’s unclear what will trigger the bonuses.
Garland is probably best described as an innings eater. Yes, he was 14-12 with a 3.47 ERA last season, but that was in the best pitcher’s park in baseball. He’ll still be pitching in a good pitchers’ park, but not quite as good. He also was pretty hit lucky last year, and he could see his luck decrease a bit going forward. All of that said, the Dodgers would have killed for that kind of dependable production in the rotation last season, and unless this is a massive overpay, it’s probably a pretty good signing for L.A.
It’s also great for the Padres, by the way, because with Garland cashing in on his one year in Petco, you can bet that San Diego will only continue to be a place where starters will go cheap in order to build up their value. If the Padres are smart, they can really play that to their advantage.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 16
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)