The “Jeter wants $150 million” walkback has begun

Nov 26, 2010, 11:45 AM EST

mlb_jeter

That didn’t take long: Jim Baumbach of Newsday is walking back the notion that Jeter really asked for $150 million. He tweets:

Person familiar with Yankees-Jeter negotiations says Jeter camp is not asking for reported $150 million over six years. It’s less than that.

He didn’t say if it’s less money or fewer years or both.

While keeping in mind the notion that negotiations are fluid things and that people leaking things always have agendas and counter-agendas when it comes to this sort of thing, I am not really all that inclined to believe that Bill Madden’s report of the demand was wrong. Thew incentives for someone in the “Jeter/Close camp” to make that up are low. The incentives for them to deny that now — after a few hours of mockery over the reported demand — are super high.

My guess: Madden’s information related to a prior demand, since laughed out of the room by the Yankees, and now the Baumbach’s source is accurate, technically speaking. If that were the case it doesn’t change the insanity of the demand, and Baumbach’s report doesn’t constitute a denial.

But hey, thank goodness there’s a push on this winter to keep free agent negotiations out of the press!

1. Jonny 5 - Nov 26, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Only someone like his Mother would suggest he’s worth that much $$$ over that many years…. Anyone with any respect for the man, that knows a player’s value to a team would even remotely suggest he begin with these terms in negotiation. How can anyone even imagine this didn’t result in hysterical fits of laughter from the Yankees? “Illusions of grandeur” When words can’t describe an even more extreme level than this definition allows, this definition will from this point forward be named as follows “illusions of being Derek Jeter as Derek Jeter see’s himself” Yeah sure, It’s kinda long, doesn’t have much of a ring to it, yet it’s quite specific.

2. yankees1996 - Nov 26, 2010 at 12:18 PM

I would certainly hope that his demands are less than 6 years @ $150 million, but the point remains that 3 years @ $45 million is logical and reasonable. Now that having been said logical and reasonable rarely win out in contract talks in any major pro sport. However, Jeter needs to be realistic about what he feels he is entitled to during this process. My advice to him would be don’t let the terms of your last contract stain or tarnish the reputation you have worked the last 15 years to establish.

• pisano - Nov 26, 2010 at 1:37 PM

3yrs.@45 mil for a 37 yr. old SS in decline is more than fair, it’s more like stupid. I think one or two yrs. @ 15 to 18 mil. total is plenty for his caliber of play at his age. If he doesn’t like the 7.5 to 9 mil.per he can move on. He knows no other team is going to give him 15 mil. per yr. What he doesn’t understand is the Yankees don’t need him. If and when he catches on to that he might come down to earth with his outrageous demands.

• yankees1996 - Nov 26, 2010 at 2:04 PM

I have read several of your posts over the last week or so about the whole Jeter situation and I do agree with a lot of what you have said about the situation. However for me 3 years @ $45 million would be the ceiling, there is going to be a certain amount of overpayment in this contract because of who he is and who he has been and what he is going to do and what he has done in his time with the Yankees. I disagree with you about the Yankees needing him, I believe it would be in the best interest of the Yankees to keep him for another 2 to 3 years and there are several reasons I believe this. It may not be likely but it is possible that 2010 was just a down year for Jeter and he may rebound next year, he may not. The biggest reason the Yankees should keep him is because of his on-field leadership, there is no one else in the clubhouse to step into those huge shoes. If the Yankees do not reach agreement with Jeter lets remember that the Yankees have not reached agreement with Mo or Andy as of this point in time and with Jeter gone it is extremely possible that you may see Mo and Andy not return and there is nothing good about that. I want to see Jeter return but I don’t want to see Jeters’ return and his contract ruin the Yankees for years to come. It would be sad to see him go and I will tell you this I would not watch him play baseball is another uniform but alas all good things have to come to an end, I say pay Derek Jeter slightly more than he is worth and get his signature on the contract but it should not be for more than 3 years and it should not be for more than approx. $45 to 50 million.

• mtner77 - Nov 26, 2010 at 4:52 PM

@ Yankees 19996

….”but I don’t want to see Jeters’ return and his contract ruin the Yankees for years to come.”….

I do! Pay Jeter $250Mil./10 years. It would be the best thing in the world for the rest of MLB.

3. bigharold - Nov 26, 2010 at 2:16 PM

I have no problem with what the Yankees are purportedly offering Jeter. Nor do I have a problem with what Jeter is supposedly demanding. It’s a negotiation and that’s the way it works. Sooner or later compromises would be made an agreement reached. Of course the way the Yankee owners and FO have behaved that has now become exponentially more difficult.

What I do have a problem with is the way the Yankees have clearly and repeatedly ignored their promise to not hold the negotiation in the media. From the very beginning various members of the Yankee admisisphere have felt it important to make inflammatory statements framing the scope of the negotiation and, in effect, telling Jeter “if you can do better go get it”. This is not merely unproductive, it’s counter productive and boarder line petulant. The most idiotic remarls, not surprisingly, was from Hank Steinbrenner about how rich the Yankees have made some ball players. Apparently he misses the part of the equation where the very same ball players in turn made the Steinbrenner’s rich beyond imagination. Memo to Hank: nobody ever paid a nickel for an owner or GM do to a damn thing.

The Yankees have picked a curious time to all the sudden become the paragon of fiscal restraint. The wait until the face of the franchise, the Captain of the team, the guy that best represents Yankee tradition since Mickey Mantle has a bad year to decide to start acting like grownups towards contract signings. Even that they’ve seriously screwed up with the way they’ve gone about it. Regardless of what side one takes there is no excuse for the Yankee brass to drag this into the public the way they’ve done. It’s just unprofessional and ,in the long run, will do more damage to the “Yankee Brand” than grossly over paying Jeter.

• paperlions - Nov 26, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Didn’t the Yankees only respond in the media after Jeter’s agent repeatedly popped off? I’m sure they would rather not negotiate in public, but in a case like this one, you can’t afford to let Jeter be the only voice people hear. If the Yankees trade/sign a SS tomorrow and cut Jeter loose, it will have zero long-term effect on the Yankee Brand”. Would fans prefer that Jeter stick around as long as he isn’t too horrible? Sure. Will they abandon their team over this? No.

• bigharold - Nov 26, 2010 at 3:06 PM

“Didn’t the Yankees only respond in the media after Jeter’s agent repeatedly popped off?”

No that not even close. Some of the attributed remarks were Hal Steinbrenner, who went on the Michael Kay’s radio show about three week ago and when asked about the Jeter contract made a point of saying that “he was running a businesss” Completely uncalled for. Then there was Randy Levine’s idiotic remarks about the it not being ten years ago…. Also there was Hank’s stupid remarks. Since Close’s remarks there have been even more. The only remark that I’ve seen attributed to Close was in Lupica’s column that said he was “befuddled”. That’s hardy “repeatedly popped off”. The Yankee side is doing almost ALL of the talking.

If the really didn’t want to negotiate in public all they really needed to do was be quite. From the very beginning there has been a concerted effort by the Yankee FO to wage and win the PR war. This is evidenced not only by the number of public statements from the Yankee side but the various parts of the Yankee brass. In the long run this does nothing but hardens the position of both sides and makes it nearly impossible for compromise. It’s a severely flawed sophomoric strategy.

” If the Yankees trade/sign a SS tomorrow and cut Jeter loose, it will have zero long-term effect on the Yankee Brand””

What do the Yankees gain by publically humiliating the Captain of the team? What do they gain by beating Jeter into submission out in the open? Where is the Yankee pride and tradition there? They could well have attained the exact same results quicker by keeping their mouths shut. Even if they didn’t budge on their offer eventually he’d have accepted because nobody would have offered more. Now, he has to accept it AND a very public ass kicking. Why, so Cashman and the Steinbrenner boys can show everybody who the boss is? The Yankee brass is demonstrating far more hubris than Jeter is being cited for. And, it is a stupid strategy that will work against them in the long run because people will forget the numbers involved and remember that they embarrassed a Yankee icon because they weren’t smart enough to prevail in a contract negotiation otherwise. It’s been my experience that someone that is truly the Boss, doesn’t have to prove it.

This situation has all the requisite components to be the Yogi exile all over again. Unless the Yankees relent enough for Jeter to save face in some way all this will do is serve to tarnish the Yankee image. But, most of all it’s happening because the Yankee owners and FO have completely mismanaged this contract negotiation.

• ta192 - Nov 26, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Oh, I don’t know… The “Yankee Brand” is 100% secure in the minds of Yankee fans no matter what they do (other than lose/not win), and for us haters, that brand always has and forever will be executed on a single sheet of 1 ply tp with the totally appropriate soft brown substance that normally comes to mind whenever we hear “Yankees”. I would think they could literally tell Jeter to go squat on a bayonet and be no worse the wear for it…

• bigharold - Nov 26, 2010 at 5:43 PM

If you’ve a point to make, feel free to do so. We’re breathlessly awaiting.

4. paperlions - Nov 26, 2010 at 2:18 PM

On the field “leadership” isn’t all that valuable coming from a below average player. What exactly is he going to do to “lead” while he is turning ground-ball outs into singles to extend innings and put more pressure on his pitchers? It isn’t like the Yankees are a young team that lacks for leadership, they are chock full of leaders.

It is much more likely that 2010 represents his true abilities than 2009…as 2010 was pretty much in line with 2007 and 2008 with respect to an expected decline with age. He’ll be lucky to improve on last year from this point on out. His defense will continue to decline (if that is possible), his power will continue to decline….he’s going to have to be really lucky on balls in play to even approach a league average player (all of his “value” last year was from playing SS very badly).

• yankees1996 - Nov 26, 2010 at 3:18 PM

On the field leadership is everything especially in the NY market where the difference between a good and bad season can be whether or not you have someone on the team that will show the younger players and pull them aside when needed. If you do not think so then I would tell you to talk to the players of the Knicks, Mets and Giants and you should most certainly talk to Eli Manning I’m quite sure he can tell you all about on field leadership. Jeters’ skills decline is going to happen and may already have begun, his range maybe be diminished but I have never seen him turn an out into a single or an out into a double because of a bad play or throwing the ball away. The Yankees are not chock full of leaders and I have no idea where you came up with that notion, there is at present no one in that clubhouse that would take on being the Captain or that could perform the job like Jeter. The future Captain is in the clubhouse right now in my opinion but it is not the time for Robinson Cano to step up, not yet. His skills will continue to erode and that is why I think the Yankees should sign him for another 2 or 3 years but no more and they will have to slightly overpay Jeter but in the long run it will be worth it and Cano can take over the team slowly and not have it thrust onto his shoulders. The only way to know if Jeters’ slide has begun is to see what the 2011 season has in store, I’m not saying people of your opinion are wrong or right about this issue, I’m just saying as a lifelong Yankees fan I believe that it will be a huge mistake not to resign Jeter but it will be an even bigger mistake to sacrifice the future of the Yankees to sign him to a ridiculously long and insanely expensive contract. But you make Jeter out to sound like he is the worst SS to ever put on spikes and he most certainly is not that!

• paperlions - Nov 26, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Talent is everything. Leadership (on or off the field) means nothing without talent, and with talent and experience the Yankees have, any “leadership” Jeter brings is superfluous. I’d love some examples of the awesome Jeter leadership, seems like it is more mythical than anything. He has displayed little of it during times of strife over the last decade. Since when is always keeping your mouth shut “leadership”?

• Glenn - Nov 26, 2010 at 7:42 PM

I think that leadership is one of those great sports descriptors that work after the fact – like momentum, chemistry, or clutch performance. Jeter is outstanding at handling the NY media but I see no evidence that it turns into more victories for the team.

Speaking of Jeter and clutch, Jeter’s post season stats (over a season’s worth of games) are now worse than his regular season stats. Does that mean that he is not clutch anymore or just that he has regressed to the mean.

• uyf1950 - Nov 26, 2010 at 9:03 PM

To Yankees1996 – I agree with many of the things you have posted these past few days concerning Jeter. But I have to disagree with you somewhat about leadership and the Jeter issue. In my view the captain of the team, the leader of the team does more then pull the younger players aside when necessary. A leader of the team should have a team first attitude. That’s something I think Jeter has lacked on more then one occasion. For example when the Yankees brought on ARod. A Rod was clearly the better choice for the SS position, but obviously Jeter wouldn’t or didn’t want to move to 3rd base. This past season while Jeter struggled on offense most if not all of the 2nd half, a leader would have gone to management and said move me down in the line up (and not just to the 2nd spot) I’m doing more harm then good at the top of the order. Jeter, obviously didn’t. Even now with the contract (by the way I agree with you on the length and we’re are both close on his $ value) a leader would place the team interest ahead of his own, especially when the team has made him a very generous offer by all accounts. I don’t have any illusions and as the saying goes, “money talks and everyone walks”. Jeters a leader as long as the money’s there, and in my mind that’s no leader at all. I think most Yankee fans are seeing the “real” Derek Jeter now and it’s the one that’s been hidden behind the carefully created facade that Jeter has constructed over the years.

5. pisano - Nov 26, 2010 at 2:19 PM

yankeess1996- Your post makes a lot of sense. I guess the thing that pisses me off is I feel he’s trying to hold the Yankees up with his outrageous money demands. I still feel he’s not worth anywhere near the Yankee offer , but your post has broadened my outlook on his worth.

6. ta192 - Nov 26, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Oh my goodness, Harold, I missed your comment about real bosses when I posted my last comment.
    It’s been my experience that most bosses have little else to do, or little else that they are actually capable of, other than to demonstrate by any means that they’re in charge. If they’re not doing that with infuriating frequency, it’s probably because they’re too busy counting their money…

• bigharold - Nov 26, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Then you unfortunately work for morons.

I’ve worked for morons too but I’ve been fortunate enough to work for caring intelligent, often demanding, people that were true leaders. People that helped me develop and make myself better. Those folks, whether business owners or just my supervisor, never went around thumping their chest or using a the foot to ass method of management. Everybody knew they were the boss.

• ta192 - Nov 26, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Worked in cable television…’nuff said…
        But, my original point stands, no matter how well or badly the Jankees handle the Jeter affair,
        the “Yankee Brand” will get pretty much the same reception.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5036)