Nov 26, 2010, 10:00 PM EDT
Derek Jeter news is like Midwestern weather: don’t like it? Wait a few minutes, it will change. To review the bidding:
- Bill Madden reported this morning that Jeter was, at least at some point recently, asking for $25 million a year for six years;
- Jeter’s agent, Casey Close, denied that today, saying that those figures were “simply inaccurate.“
OK, then, try this on for size: Michael S. Schmidt of the New York Times says that Jeter is really asking for a four- or five-year deal worth $23-24 million per season.
My take: this is still nuts. The Yankees are at three-years, $15 million. For all of the reasons I detailed the other day, that is already an overpay. For Jeter to want upwards of $100 million from the Yankees remains unreasonable by any measure. Especially by any baseball measure, but even by any measure that includes aura, mystique, juju, karma, or the so-called Yankee Brand.
Also: if Jeter’s agent is going to come out all angry, saying that the $25 million per year reports are inaccurate when, in reality, he’s asking for $23 or $24 million, he should probably just save his breath.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 5
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (250)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)