Would you believe Jeter wants $23-$24 million per year over four or five years?

Nov 26, 2010, 10:00 PM EDT

Derek Jeter triple

Derek Jeter news is like Midwestern weather: don’t like it? Wait a few minutes, it will change.  To review the bidding:

OK, then, try this on for size: Michael S. Schmidt of the New York Times says that Jeter is really asking for a four- or five-year deal worth $23-24 million per season.

My take: this is still nuts. The Yankees are at three-years, $15 million. For all of the reasons I detailed the other day, that is already an overpay.  For Jeter to want upwards of $100 million from the Yankees remains unreasonable by any measure. Especially by any baseball measure, but even by any measure that includes aura, mystique, juju, karma, or the so-called Yankee Brand.

Also: if Jeter’s agent is going to come out all angry, saying that the $25 million per year reports are inaccurate when, in reality, he’s asking for $23 or $24 million, he should probably just save his breath.

1. uyf1950 - Nov 26, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Forget the $23 or $24M per and the 5th year that ain’t gonna happen. The only way I see the Yankees offering even a 4th year is if it’s a club option year. I still say at most the Yankees offer $17M per for 3 years. With possibly a club option for a 4th year with a $5M buyout if it’s not exercised. Which at least offers Jeter the opportunity to save face (if that’s what he’s looking for) by saying if the 4th year is bought out he will have effectively been paid $56M for 3 years just about what his average salary has been over the past 10 years. I think he should count his blessings and sign on the dotted line if he gets something like that. Otherwise all that goodwill he has accumulated over the years will disappear.

2. Glenn - Nov 26, 2010 at 10:43 PM

I cannot believe this Jeter thing – it is the gift that keeps on giving after years of watching this over rated prima donna have everything go his way. Sure he is a Hall of Famer and has done great baseball things, but he doesn’t pee champagne for crying out loud.

• skerney - Nov 27, 2010 at 4:05 AM

this is one of the great jeter sum ups. everthing has gone his way. yes he is a good hitter.yes he has lots of hits. but he had the greatest ensemble since the last yankee dynasty making him better. he could have EASILY had vizquels career. minus the range and gold gloves.

3. pisano - Nov 26, 2010 at 11:22 PM

I think he’s on LSD, that’s the only reason he could be asking for this kind of contract. I keep on saying get rid of him, and he seems to be asking for it.

4. Jonny 5 - Nov 26, 2010 at 11:37 PM

I have this old Ford. It’s got wayyy over a hundred thousand miles on it. It isn’t running like it used to, and wasn’t the best handling truck to begin with, but it wheeled off road pretty damned well. Better than average. She’s a reliable old truck, Now it’s worn out, handles worse than ever, and wheels almost as good as it used to. Who knows when it’ll blow up? I’m going to drive it up to NYC. And i’m going to sell it to Hank Steinbrenner. For………………………….

ONE MILLION DOLLARS!!!

TEN MILLION DOLLARS!!!

Yeah, it’s a lot of $$$. But It’ll last him much longer than Jeter Will.
    Did I call him Jeter? I meant. “Deter”.

5. Old Gator - Nov 26, 2010 at 11:57 PM

I fear that tedium is setting in over Jeter. My eyelids grow heavy. My mind, such as it is, refuses to process the information. Tuttle? Buttle? Okay, where do I file this crap….?

6. Jack Marshall - Nov 27, 2010 at 1:02 AM

Why in the world would the Yankees offer more than they already have, if there is no chance any team will offer Jeter anything close to that? Because he wants more? Because he will be less pissed off than he will be anyway that he’s not getting obscenely overpaid or insanely over-paid, just generously over-paid? Isn’t this the perfect scenario for the old “the offer will be reduced by 5% every week until you sign” tactic?” I would think any Yakee fan would be furious at the team for throwing any more money at a guy who is likely to be a liability very soon, when the cash may come in handy later on. If this stunt doesn’t kill Jeter’s congregation, he wins the Teflon title for all time.

• Kevin S. - Nov 27, 2010 at 10:02 AM

The Yankees probably won’t do that, given that they’ve passed on chances to reduce his leverage by offering arbitration or acquiring a less-good but above-replacement shortstop who won’t cost as much. I think the Yankees realize that they don’t have to be dicks about it, that sooner or later Jeter will have no choice but to accept their offer. They’re willing to pay him the 3/$45mil, and they aren’t going to lower that offer just because they can. This is the legacy consideration they’re giving Jeter, despite Casey Close being baffled.

7. Charles Gates - Nov 27, 2010 at 7:17 AM

Whether it’s pride, ego, a warped sense of reality or a toddler’s bargaining strategy, let’s assume Jeter actually thinks he wants ~$23MM+/year. Well, we also know that the Yankees won’t give it to him. If this contract dispute continues to get dragged through the mud by the media (via story leakers from the inside), it’s possible ‘Deter’ takes a ~$8MM annual deal somewhere else just stick it to the Yankees.
    Pride, ego, a warped sense of reality, or If I can’t have cookies for dinner, I’ll lock myself in my room forever!
    Is this likely? Probably not. But it’s not like Jeter needs the money. If Jeter’s ego is preventing him from signing an above reasonable $15MM annual deal, that same ego might think it’s possible to take the offensive and hurt the Yankees by signing else where for less.

• yankees1996 - Nov 27, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Yea, that is one option but he may want to ask Damon how that line of thinking worked out for him.

8. thinman61 - Nov 27, 2010 at 7:19 AM

This is the gift that keeps on giving. Maybe if Jeter takes the 3 year $45 million contract offer he already has in hand and leaps head first into the stands with it — or does one of those lame jump throws to first base — maybe people will start crowing about his “intangibles” again.

/sarcasm

9. mallethead329 - Nov 27, 2010 at 7:28 AM

I would guess 90% of the numbers being thrown around are incorrect, or press fabrication to get a headline. But, Jeter is going to get his money. $20 million a year for 3 years, with a club option/buyout for the 4th year. For the Yankees, becoming more “cautious” with their payroll probably shouldn’t start with Derek Jeter. They’re paying Kei Igzawa $40 million to pitch in the minors, and they want to start treating Jeter like any other shortstop? Remember, when the Yankess stop throwing their money around as they have in the past, and really became fiscally sensible like other teams, they’ll be in thrid place, playing in front of 25,000. That’s not happening.

• paperlions - Nov 27, 2010 at 8:59 AM

So you logic is “because they have made honest mistakes in the past they should now make mistakes on purpose”? Really?

Jeter has already been over paid for 10 straight years, not they should over pay him each year by more? On the baseball field, Jeter is “any other shortstop” now. The fans love Jeter, but like most love affairs it isn’t based wholly in reality. He is not the team leader they portray him to be, what leaderly thing has he ever done? Does he rally the troops? Speak out to quell rumors about infighting? Or does he just keep him mouth shut and do nothing?

• uyf1950 - Nov 27, 2010 at 9:39 AM

To Mallethead – First of all we need to stop with the fiscal responsibility “shouldn’t start with Jeter”. Because it didn’t start with Jeter. It started with Bernie Williams a few years back. Then it continued with Damon and Godzilla. So Jeter isn’t the first and won’t be the last. Let’s not confuse fiscal responsibility with being cheap in this case. Jeter is being offered way more both in pay and years then he will get anywhere else, regardless of what different poster think. Also the Igawa thing is a completely different situation. Half of that $40M you reference was a posting fee, plus he was signed right out of Japan and his yearly pay is $4M per. Jeter is 36 years old will be 37 less then 3 months into the 2011 season. He is coming off the worst year in his career. Simply put 39 or 40 year old SS don’t exist in the Major Leagues and they most certainly don’t command the type of money the Yankees are offering Jeter regardless of who they might be. It’s only prudent for the Yankees to limit their exposure in years and money. Having said that, they are still willing to pay Jeter far more then he would get in the open market recognizing is “other” attributes. I feel at this point the ball is in Jeters court to make a realistic compromise ($24 or 24M per over 4 or 5 years doesn’t fit that criteria), the clock is ticking.

10. yankees1996 - Nov 27, 2010 at 9:36 AM

O.k. he wants $24 million per year… done, pull the 3 year $45 million offer off the table and sign him for 1 year at $24 million and that ought to be the end of it. If he wants a second year it is a club option year with a $100,000 buyout, stay or go this needs to be concluded. I personally believe that he should take the contract he has been offered, but that appears to be last weeks news.

• uyf1950 - Nov 27, 2010 at 9:50 AM

To yankees1996 – He just doesn’t want $23 or $24M per year. He wants it for 4 or 5 years. As much as I like Jeter, either he or his agent are wacky.

• yankees1996 - Nov 27, 2010 at 10:04 AM

uyf1950 – Yea, I know what he wants and this whole thing is getting way, way out of hand. The 3 year $45 million contract qualified as overpay in my mind and in my opinion Jeter and his agent are shooting for the moon here. I said it yesterday and I’m saying it again today in total agreement with you, Cashman and Hal should call Adrain Beltre. Jeter does not seem to realize that his skills are in decline and paying top dollar is not something that the Yankees need to or want to do. If we have to have a 40 year old SS we could sign Vizquel and spend a lot less money. I’m trying to see this entire situation from as many angles as possible but no matter how I try I just cannot see that type of contract from Jeters’ point of view. It is just ridiculous and I was so hoping that we would not have to repeat the entire Bernie Williams fiasco but it is begininng to appear as though it cannot be avoided, in this case I do think the Yankees ownership and management have done and offered what is fair.

• uyf1950 - Nov 27, 2010 at 10:22 AM

I agree, yankees1996.

11. Walk - Nov 28, 2010 at 1:23 AM

I have said it before, we shouldnt hate him for trying to get paid. It is his right as a free agent to get the best contract he can. But.. This is getting ridic ridicul well it is getting out of hand at any rate. He is pricing himself out of town and if ny cant pay him no one can. At his age for a ss not named ozzie smith or omar vizquel it is almost unheard of to expect to play that position for the length of contract he is reported to want not to mention the money. He is fast becoming addition by subtraction. Honestly they can likely sign another outfielder, maybe crawford and flip gardner for a fourth outfielder and a ss with the money jeter wants.

• uyf1950 - Nov 28, 2010 at 8:17 AM

To Walk – I agree with you about Jeter and Ozzie. But the Yankees aren’t going to get rid of Gardner. Gardner’s upside potential is huge and people/fans started to see part of that this past year. Plus he is very inexpensive. If the Yankees were to get Crawford it’s more likely then not that either Granderson or Swisher would be moved. Granderson is still under a teams control through the 2013 season and Swisher through the 2012 season. One or the other would likely be traded should the Yankees sign Crawford.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3693)