Nov 26, 2010, 10:00 PM EST
Derek Jeter news is like Midwestern weather: don’t like it? Wait a few minutes, it will change. To review the bidding:
- Bill Madden reported this morning that Jeter was, at least at some point recently, asking for $25 million a year for six years;
- Jeter’s agent, Casey Close, denied that today, saying that those figures were “simply inaccurate.“
OK, then, try this on for size: Michael S. Schmidt of the New York Times says that Jeter is really asking for a four- or five-year deal worth $23-24 million per season.
My take: this is still nuts. The Yankees are at three-years, $15 million. For all of the reasons I detailed the other day, that is already an overpay. For Jeter to want upwards of $100 million from the Yankees remains unreasonable by any measure. Especially by any baseball measure, but even by any measure that includes aura, mystique, juju, karma, or the so-called Yankee Brand.
Also: if Jeter’s agent is going to come out all angry, saying that the $25 million per year reports are inaccurate when, in reality, he’s asking for $23 or $24 million, he should probably just save his breath.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)