Nov 26, 2010, 10:00 PM EDT
Derek Jeter news is like Midwestern weather: don’t like it? Wait a few minutes, it will change. To review the bidding:
- Bill Madden reported this morning that Jeter was, at least at some point recently, asking for $25 million a year for six years;
- Jeter’s agent, Casey Close, denied that today, saying that those figures were “simply inaccurate.“
OK, then, try this on for size: Michael S. Schmidt of the New York Times says that Jeter is really asking for a four- or five-year deal worth $23-24 million per season.
My take: this is still nuts. The Yankees are at three-years, $15 million. For all of the reasons I detailed the other day, that is already an overpay. For Jeter to want upwards of $100 million from the Yankees remains unreasonable by any measure. Especially by any baseball measure, but even by any measure that includes aura, mystique, juju, karma, or the so-called Yankee Brand.
Also: if Jeter’s agent is going to come out all angry, saying that the $25 million per year reports are inaccurate when, in reality, he’s asking for $23 or $24 million, he should probably just save his breath.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)