Nov 26, 2010, 10:00 PM EDT
Derek Jeter news is like Midwestern weather: don’t like it? Wait a few minutes, it will change. To review the bidding:
- Bill Madden reported this morning that Jeter was, at least at some point recently, asking for $25 million a year for six years;
- Jeter’s agent, Casey Close, denied that today, saying that those figures were “simply inaccurate.“
OK, then, try this on for size: Michael S. Schmidt of the New York Times says that Jeter is really asking for a four- or five-year deal worth $23-24 million per season.
My take: this is still nuts. The Yankees are at three-years, $15 million. For all of the reasons I detailed the other day, that is already an overpay. For Jeter to want upwards of $100 million from the Yankees remains unreasonable by any measure. Especially by any baseball measure, but even by any measure that includes aura, mystique, juju, karma, or the so-called Yankee Brand.
Also: if Jeter’s agent is going to come out all angry, saying that the $25 million per year reports are inaccurate when, in reality, he’s asking for $23 or $24 million, he should probably just save his breath.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)