Nov 27, 2010, 6:03 PM EDT
Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune seems to think so. He writes that the Rangers “are becoming a more realistic option” for Konerko.
The possibility has gained momentum in recent days, as Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported earlier this week that the Rangers were showing interest in the free agent first baseman after missing out on Victor Martinez, who signed a four-year, $50 million deal with the Tigers.
Konerko, who turns 35 next March, batted .312/.393/.584 with 39 homers, 111 RBI and a 977 OPS with the White Sox this past season. According to Rogers, the Rangers view him as a potential replacement for Vladimir Guerrero, who is also a free agent this winter. The most likely scenario is that Konerko would split time between DH and first base with Mitch Moreland, who is also capable of playing the outfield.
Konerko would normally be in line for a massive payday after a career-year — and he still might get one — but teams have been increasingly less willing to hand out big contracts to players as they enter their mid-to-late 30s. Thus, I could see Konerko making some sense for the Rangers on a short-term deal if they aren’t truly sold on Moreland as their everyday first baseman. He would also represent an upgrade over Guerrero, who had a 748 OPS during the second half and offers zero flexibility in the field. Of course, the White Sox would be plenty happy to retain Konerko, especially in the event that a significant market for the veteran slugger fails to materialize.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 5
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 92
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (92)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)