Nov 27, 2010, 6:03 PM EST
Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune seems to think so. He writes that the Rangers “are becoming a more realistic option” for Konerko.
The possibility has gained momentum in recent days, as Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported earlier this week that the Rangers were showing interest in the free agent first baseman after missing out on Victor Martinez, who signed a four-year, $50 million deal with the Tigers.
Konerko, who turns 35 next March, batted .312/.393/.584 with 39 homers, 111 RBI and a 977 OPS with the White Sox this past season. According to Rogers, the Rangers view him as a potential replacement for Vladimir Guerrero, who is also a free agent this winter. The most likely scenario is that Konerko would split time between DH and first base with Mitch Moreland, who is also capable of playing the outfield.
Konerko would normally be in line for a massive payday after a career-year — and he still might get one — but teams have been increasingly less willing to hand out big contracts to players as they enter their mid-to-late 30s. Thus, I could see Konerko making some sense for the Rangers on a short-term deal if they aren’t truly sold on Moreland as their everyday first baseman. He would also represent an upgrade over Guerrero, who had a 748 OPS during the second half and offers zero flexibility in the field. Of course, the White Sox would be plenty happy to retain Konerko, especially in the event that a significant market for the veteran slugger fails to materialize.
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 2
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 22
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 22
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)