Nov 27, 2010, 4:01 PM EST
Justin Morneau was cleared to resume workouts earlier this week, but the encouraging news doesn’t end there.
At the team’s winter coat drive at Target Field earlier today, Morneau told Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that he expects to be ready for spring training.
“There’s not a doubt in my mind. I’ll be ready for spring.”
Morneau suffered a concussion on July 7 after taking a knee to the head on a slide into second base and missed the final three months of the regular season and the playoffs as a result. He was batting .345/.437/.618 with 18 homers, 56 RBI and a 1.055 OPS at the time of the injury.
It’s easy to wonder what could have been, but the team’s offense was still pretty darn good without him during the second half of the season. They were second in the American League in runs, hits, doubles, batting average and on-base percentage, third in OPS and fourth in slugging percentage. Still, getting Morneau back at (hopefully) full strength is akin to a big money free agent signing.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (159)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)