Nov 27, 2010, 1:51 PM EDT
During an appearance with Steve Cochran on ESPN1000 in Chicago yesterday, Lou Piniella said he believes Mike Quade deserved the opportunity to return as Cubs manager.
“Mike’s a good baseball man. He’s been in baseball for a long, long time,” Piniella said. “He got that opportunity when I left there and I tell you what, the club responded to him and they played exceedingly well. And I know it was a very tough decision for everybody in the organization choosing between Mike and other viable candidates, but you know, he deserved it.”
Quade led the Cubs to a 24-13 record (.649) after Piniella stepped down in late-August in order to tend to his ailing mother. Ryne Sandberg was the fan favorite for the job and certainly deserved consideration after being named the Pacific Coast League manager of the year in his first season with Triple-A Iowa, but Quade earned the vocal support of many of his players.
As for Piniella, he told Cochran that his mother is still fighting.
“She’s having her good days and her bad days,” Piniella said of his mother’s health. “Sometimes I’m heartened a bit and sometimes it’s discouraging. She’s going to be 91 years old now, here in December, so she’s a scrappy old gal. I needed to come home, I did the right thing and she’s appreciated the fact that I’ve been home.”
Piniella, now 67, is almost certainly done in the dugout, but he’ll resurface in the game eventually. Yankees co-chairman Hank Steinbrenner recently told the Chicago Tribune that he hopes Piniella will consider re-joining the club in an advisory role.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 65
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 75
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 69
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (101)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)