Nov 27, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
This just about sums up how slow this Saturday afternoon has been.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Yankees have signed right-hander Brian Anderson and left-hander Andy Sisco to minor league contracts. Both receive invites to major league spring training.
Anderson, who turns 29 next March, converted to a pitcher in the Royals organization this past season after compiling a .227/.290/.370 batting line over 833 major league plate appearances as an outfielder. He did well in his transition, posting a 2.08 ERA and 17/5 K/BB ratio over 17 1/3 innings between rookie ball, High-A Burlington and Triple-A Omaha, but opted for free agency after being removed from the 40-man roster earlier this month. He reportedly throws his fastball in the low 90s and also features a slider and a changeup, so this is the very definition of low-risk/high-reward as far as bullpen-types go.
Sisco, who turns 28 in January, hasn’t pitched in the big leagues since 2007 due to Tommy John surgery. He posted a 4.32 ERA and 75/36 K/BB ratio over 66 2/3 innings with Double-A Richmond in the Giants’ organization this past season. The former 2001 second round pick of the Cubs has always struggled with his command, but Rosenthal writes that Sisco is throwing 95 mph in winter ball. Worth a shot.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 45
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 50
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)