Nov 27, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
This just about sums up how slow this Saturday afternoon has been.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Yankees have signed right-hander Brian Anderson and left-hander Andy Sisco to minor league contracts. Both receive invites to major league spring training.
Anderson, who turns 29 next March, converted to a pitcher in the Royals organization this past season after compiling a .227/.290/.370 batting line over 833 major league plate appearances as an outfielder. He did well in his transition, posting a 2.08 ERA and 17/5 K/BB ratio over 17 1/3 innings between rookie ball, High-A Burlington and Triple-A Omaha, but opted for free agency after being removed from the 40-man roster earlier this month. He reportedly throws his fastball in the low 90s and also features a slider and a changeup, so this is the very definition of low-risk/high-reward as far as bullpen-types go.
Sisco, who turns 28 in January, hasn’t pitched in the big leagues since 2007 due to Tommy John surgery. He posted a 4.32 ERA and 75/36 K/BB ratio over 66 2/3 innings with Double-A Richmond in the Giants’ organization this past season. The former 2001 second round pick of the Cubs has always struggled with his command, but Rosenthal writes that Sisco is throwing 95 mph in winter ball. Worth a shot.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 18
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 14
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 79
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)