Nov 27, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
This just about sums up how slow this Saturday afternoon has been.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Yankees have signed right-hander Brian Anderson and left-hander Andy Sisco to minor league contracts. Both receive invites to major league spring training.
Anderson, who turns 29 next March, converted to a pitcher in the Royals organization this past season after compiling a .227/.290/.370 batting line over 833 major league plate appearances as an outfielder. He did well in his transition, posting a 2.08 ERA and 17/5 K/BB ratio over 17 1/3 innings between rookie ball, High-A Burlington and Triple-A Omaha, but opted for free agency after being removed from the 40-man roster earlier this month. He reportedly throws his fastball in the low 90s and also features a slider and a changeup, so this is the very definition of low-risk/high-reward as far as bullpen-types go.
Sisco, who turns 28 in January, hasn’t pitched in the big leagues since 2007 due to Tommy John surgery. He posted a 4.32 ERA and 75/36 K/BB ratio over 66 2/3 innings with Double-A Richmond in the Giants’ organization this past season. The former 2001 second round pick of the Cubs has always struggled with his command, but Rosenthal writes that Sisco is throwing 95 mph in winter ball. Worth a shot.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 36
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)