Nov 27, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
This just about sums up how slow this Saturday afternoon has been.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Yankees have signed right-hander Brian Anderson and left-hander Andy Sisco to minor league contracts. Both receive invites to major league spring training.
Anderson, who turns 29 next March, converted to a pitcher in the Royals organization this past season after compiling a .227/.290/.370 batting line over 833 major league plate appearances as an outfielder. He did well in his transition, posting a 2.08 ERA and 17/5 K/BB ratio over 17 1/3 innings between rookie ball, High-A Burlington and Triple-A Omaha, but opted for free agency after being removed from the 40-man roster earlier this month. He reportedly throws his fastball in the low 90s and also features a slider and a changeup, so this is the very definition of low-risk/high-reward as far as bullpen-types go.
Sisco, who turns 28 in January, hasn’t pitched in the big leagues since 2007 due to Tommy John surgery. He posted a 4.32 ERA and 75/36 K/BB ratio over 66 2/3 innings with Double-A Richmond in the Giants’ organization this past season. The former 2001 second round pick of the Cubs has always struggled with his command, but Rosenthal writes that Sisco is throwing 95 mph in winter ball. Worth a shot.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)