Nov 28, 2010, 2:58 PM EDT
The Marlins have made a couple of questionable moves this offseason. This won’t be one of them.
A source told MLB.com’s Bill Ladson that the Fish are nearing a contract with free agent right-hander Javier Vazquez. The Nationals, Rockies, Cardinals and Cubs all showed interest, but Javy has a home in south Florida and that may have helped the Marlins win him over.
Vazquez is thought to be seeking an incentive-laden one-year contract in the hopes of revitalizing his career. A recipient of Cy Young Award votes in 2009, he posted an ugly 5.32 ERA and 1.40 WHIP over 31 appearances (26 starts) for the Yankees this past season.
Many believe that he’ll be able to bounce back with a move back to the National League.
Vazquez was offered arbitration by the Yankees and will net his old team a supplemental round draft pick once his new contract is signed.
UPDATE: Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com says the deal is done. As expected, it’s s a one-year contract, and probably packed with performance-based incentives.
UPDATE II: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the contract is worth between $6 million and $7 million. A bargain for the Marlins if Javy can turn things around.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 20
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 8
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 37
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 59
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (109)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save