Nov 28, 2010, 2:58 PM EDT
The Marlins have made a couple of questionable moves this offseason. This won’t be one of them.
A source told MLB.com’s Bill Ladson that the Fish are nearing a contract with free agent right-hander Javier Vazquez. The Nationals, Rockies, Cardinals and Cubs all showed interest, but Javy has a home in south Florida and that may have helped the Marlins win him over.
Vazquez is thought to be seeking an incentive-laden one-year contract in the hopes of revitalizing his career. A recipient of Cy Young Award votes in 2009, he posted an ugly 5.32 ERA and 1.40 WHIP over 31 appearances (26 starts) for the Yankees this past season.
Many believe that he’ll be able to bounce back with a move back to the National League.
Vazquez was offered arbitration by the Yankees and will net his old team a supplemental round draft pick once his new contract is signed.
UPDATE: Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com says the deal is done. As expected, it’s s a one-year contract, and probably packed with performance-based incentives.
UPDATE II: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the contract is worth between $6 million and $7 million. A bargain for the Marlins if Javy can turn things around.
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 1
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 5
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 5
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 11
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)