Nov 28, 2010, 2:58 PM EDT
The Marlins have made a couple of questionable moves this offseason. This won’t be one of them.
A source told MLB.com’s Bill Ladson that the Fish are nearing a contract with free agent right-hander Javier Vazquez. The Nationals, Rockies, Cardinals and Cubs all showed interest, but Javy has a home in south Florida and that may have helped the Marlins win him over.
Vazquez is thought to be seeking an incentive-laden one-year contract in the hopes of revitalizing his career. A recipient of Cy Young Award votes in 2009, he posted an ugly 5.32 ERA and 1.40 WHIP over 31 appearances (26 starts) for the Yankees this past season.
Many believe that he’ll be able to bounce back with a move back to the National League.
Vazquez was offered arbitration by the Yankees and will net his old team a supplemental round draft pick once his new contract is signed.
UPDATE: Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com says the deal is done. As expected, it’s s a one-year contract, and probably packed with performance-based incentives.
UPDATE II: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the contract is worth between $6 million and $7 million. A bargain for the Marlins if Javy can turn things around.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)