Nov 28, 2010, 10:03 AM EDT
Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News has an update this morning on free agent designated hitter Vladimir Guerrero.
The nuts and bolts? The Rangers want Vlad to return, but they can’t commit a multi-million dollar contract to him until they know how they stand in the running for free agent left-hander Cliff Lee.
Guerrero batted .300/.345/.496 with 29 home runs and 115 RBI in 152 games this past season for Texas, helping the club to its first World Series appearance. In a market thin on power hitters he should draw some interest, but the 35-year-old has lost the ability to play the outfield and probably won’t want to sign with a non-contender in the twilight years of his baseball career.
The Rangers really are an ideal fit. Guerrero has stellar career numbers inside the Ballpark at Arlington and he was asked to play the field only a handful of times in 2010. He can stay healthy, and the Rangers can benefit off a bat that still packs a punch. Now if only that Lee guy would hurry up and sign.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 2
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)