Nov 29, 2010, 10:58 AM EDT
Ken Rosenthal takes a look at the free agent class as it’s currently constituted and observes that Carl Crawford may wait to sign — possibly until after Cliff Lee signs — in order ensure the maximum number of teams are in on the bidding, including the Yankees.
I don’t think the Yankees will ever be a serious bidder for Crawford, simply because I think they’re happy with their outfield the way it is. It seems to me that the real competition for Crawford will be between Anaheim and Boston. Luckily for Crawford, the biggest competition in the market — Jayson Werth, repped by Scott “The Human Free Agency Rain Delay” Boras — isn’t likely to sign any time soon himself, thereby keeping the options open.
If something weird happens, though, and Werth signs quickly, Crawford may find that he only has one or two real options out there willing to pay what he’s looking for. Not a big risk, I don’t think — Crawford is, to use some hacky agent’s term — a special player. But I do hope his negotiating strategy isn’t premised on getting the Yankees involved.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)