Nov 29, 2010, 11:18 AM EDT
Tomorrow night is the deadline for Type A and Type B free agents to accept or decline their teams’ arbitration offers.
For the most part it’s merely a procedural deadline, as nearly all the free agents will decline the offer on their way to the open market, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Frank Francisco is likely to accept the Rangers’ arbitration offer and return to Texas in 2011.
I wrote earlier this month about how the free agent compensation system significantly overrates relievers, pegging them as 37 percent of the Type A players over the past two seasons. Francisco is among that group and his Type A status could scare off potential suitors not interested in parting with a first-round pick to sign him. Because of that his market could be pretty limited, making a return to Texas at what figures to be around $4 million a legitimate option.
Early struggles saw Francisco lose his closer job to Neftali Feliz in April and a strained rib muscle got him left off the Rangers’ playoff roster, but in between he posted a 2.84 ERA, .220 opponents’ batting average, and 57/16 K/BB ratio in 51 innings from mid-April to the end of August. He also had a 3.43 ERA, .206 opponents’ batting average, and 140/41 K/BB ratio in 113 innings during the previous two seasons, so the Rangers should be happy to welcome him back on a one-year deal.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 38
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)