Nov 29, 2010, 11:18 AM EDT
Tomorrow night is the deadline for Type A and Type B free agents to accept or decline their teams’ arbitration offers.
For the most part it’s merely a procedural deadline, as nearly all the free agents will decline the offer on their way to the open market, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Frank Francisco is likely to accept the Rangers’ arbitration offer and return to Texas in 2011.
I wrote earlier this month about how the free agent compensation system significantly overrates relievers, pegging them as 37 percent of the Type A players over the past two seasons. Francisco is among that group and his Type A status could scare off potential suitors not interested in parting with a first-round pick to sign him. Because of that his market could be pretty limited, making a return to Texas at what figures to be around $4 million a legitimate option.
Early struggles saw Francisco lose his closer job to Neftali Feliz in April and a strained rib muscle got him left off the Rangers’ playoff roster, but in between he posted a 2.84 ERA, .220 opponents’ batting average, and 57/16 K/BB ratio in 51 innings from mid-April to the end of August. He also had a 3.43 ERA, .206 opponents’ batting average, and 140/41 K/BB ratio in 113 innings during the previous two seasons, so the Rangers should be happy to welcome him back on a one-year deal.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 23
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 52
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)