Nov 29, 2010, 11:18 AM EDT
Tomorrow night is the deadline for Type A and Type B free agents to accept or decline their teams’ arbitration offers.
For the most part it’s merely a procedural deadline, as nearly all the free agents will decline the offer on their way to the open market, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Frank Francisco is likely to accept the Rangers’ arbitration offer and return to Texas in 2011.
I wrote earlier this month about how the free agent compensation system significantly overrates relievers, pegging them as 37 percent of the Type A players over the past two seasons. Francisco is among that group and his Type A status could scare off potential suitors not interested in parting with a first-round pick to sign him. Because of that his market could be pretty limited, making a return to Texas at what figures to be around $4 million a legitimate option.
Early struggles saw Francisco lose his closer job to Neftali Feliz in April and a strained rib muscle got him left off the Rangers’ playoff roster, but in between he posted a 2.84 ERA, .220 opponents’ batting average, and 57/16 K/BB ratio in 51 innings from mid-April to the end of August. He also had a 3.43 ERA, .206 opponents’ batting average, and 140/41 K/BB ratio in 113 innings during the previous two seasons, so the Rangers should be happy to welcome him back on a one-year deal.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 14
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 18
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)