Nov 29, 2010, 11:18 AM EST
Tomorrow night is the deadline for Type A and Type B free agents to accept or decline their teams’ arbitration offers.
For the most part it’s merely a procedural deadline, as nearly all the free agents will decline the offer on their way to the open market, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Frank Francisco is likely to accept the Rangers’ arbitration offer and return to Texas in 2011.
I wrote earlier this month about how the free agent compensation system significantly overrates relievers, pegging them as 37 percent of the Type A players over the past two seasons. Francisco is among that group and his Type A status could scare off potential suitors not interested in parting with a first-round pick to sign him. Because of that his market could be pretty limited, making a return to Texas at what figures to be around $4 million a legitimate option.
Early struggles saw Francisco lose his closer job to Neftali Feliz in April and a strained rib muscle got him left off the Rangers’ playoff roster, but in between he posted a 2.84 ERA, .220 opponents’ batting average, and 57/16 K/BB ratio in 51 innings from mid-April to the end of August. He also had a 3.43 ERA, .206 opponents’ batting average, and 140/41 K/BB ratio in 113 innings during the previous two seasons, so the Rangers should be happy to welcome him back on a one-year deal.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 14
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 71
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 47
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (145)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)