Nov 29, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Peter Gammons tweets that Jesse Crain “may be the hottest reliever” on the market after Joaquin Benoit signed with the Tigers, reporting that the Rays, Rockies, Dodgers, Diamondbacks, Mariners, Orioles, Cubs, Nationals, and Blue Jays are “already in” the bidding for the 29-year-old right-hander.
Crain was offered arbitration by the Twins, but as a Type B free agent he doesn’t require forfeiting a draft pick to sign and could be viewed by some teams as a closer option after seven seasons setting up Joe Nathan in Minnesota.
Crain has said previously that he’d be interested in re-signing with the Twins, but indicated that the chance to close somewhere would take precedence over any offers to continue setting up and is very well-positioned to hit the open market.
He’s still on the right side of 30, has a 3.42 career ERA and mid-90s fastball velocity to match, is coming off his most impressive season, and was nearly unhittable with a 1.42 ERA, .170 opponents’ batting average, and 42/20 K/BB ratio in his final 45 appearances (before serving up a homer to Mark Teixeira in the playoffs).
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 59
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)