Nov 29, 2010, 3:48 PM EDT
Hall of Fame pitcher Bob Feller has been hospitalized with pneumonia stemming from complications following his treatment for leukemia.
Feller, who turned 92 years old this month, has dealt with multiple health problems recently, but “is said to be getting stronger” according to Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com.
Here’s more from Castrovince:
It has been a difficult run of poor health for Feller, who, prior to this summer, had an indefatigable spirit and energy that belied his age. In August, Feller was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia, a form of cancer in which abnormal white blood cells interfere with the production of normal blood cells. Feller had to have about two quarts of blood infused into his system and began receiving chemotherapy treatments. In September, Feller had a pacemaker installed to combat a heart ailment and also had a bout with vertigo.
Feller debuted with the Indians as a 17-year-old in 1936 and won 266 games over 18 seasons despite missing much of his peak while serving in the military. He was inducted into Cooperstown in 1962 as part of the same class as Jackie Robinson.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)