Nov 29, 2010, 3:48 PM EDT
Hall of Fame pitcher Bob Feller has been hospitalized with pneumonia stemming from complications following his treatment for leukemia.
Feller, who turned 92 years old this month, has dealt with multiple health problems recently, but “is said to be getting stronger” according to Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com.
Here’s more from Castrovince:
It has been a difficult run of poor health for Feller, who, prior to this summer, had an indefatigable spirit and energy that belied his age. In August, Feller was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia, a form of cancer in which abnormal white blood cells interfere with the production of normal blood cells. Feller had to have about two quarts of blood infused into his system and began receiving chemotherapy treatments. In September, Feller had a pacemaker installed to combat a heart ailment and also had a bout with vertigo.
Feller debuted with the Indians as a 17-year-old in 1936 and won 266 games over 18 seasons despite missing much of his peak while serving in the military. He was inducted into Cooperstown in 1962 as part of the same class as Jackie Robinson.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte