Nov 29, 2010, 3:48 PM EDT
Hall of Fame pitcher Bob Feller has been hospitalized with pneumonia stemming from complications following his treatment for leukemia.
Feller, who turned 92 years old this month, has dealt with multiple health problems recently, but “is said to be getting stronger” according to Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com.
Here’s more from Castrovince:
It has been a difficult run of poor health for Feller, who, prior to this summer, had an indefatigable spirit and energy that belied his age. In August, Feller was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia, a form of cancer in which abnormal white blood cells interfere with the production of normal blood cells. Feller had to have about two quarts of blood infused into his system and began receiving chemotherapy treatments. In September, Feller had a pacemaker installed to combat a heart ailment and also had a bout with vertigo.
Feller debuted with the Indians as a 17-year-old in 1936 and won 266 games over 18 seasons despite missing much of his peak while serving in the military. He was inducted into Cooperstown in 1962 as part of the same class as Jackie Robinson.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 96
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (106)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)