Nov 29, 2010, 6:21 AM EST
What you missed while in a tryptophan and pie-induced coma.
- Derek Jeter’s agent slammed stories that his client wants $25 million a year. Then it was reported that he wants $23-24 million a year. See? He was being totally reasonable the whole time.
- Wally Backman goes on about how he thought he should have gotten the Mets job. In the process he says that there’s no difference between managing A-ball players and major leaguers. I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say that (a) fear that he’d talk out of school about this kind of stuff; and (b) delusions about what it takes to manage major leaguers are a couple of the reasons he didn’t get the Mets job.
- Ever wonder what will happen to your local ballpark when the Zombie Apocalypse hits? Wonder no more!
- The Marlins sign Javier Vazquez. If he pitches poorly, this may be the last chance he ever gets. If he pitches well, the people who like to slam on the National League and pump up the AL East will become positively insufferable.
- Billy Beane “was a little baffled” when news of the A’s offer for Adrian Beltre came out. Between its use by Jeter’s agent to describe the Yankees’ negotiating strategy and this, “baffled” is easily the top word this offseason.
- Jonathan Albaladejo is going to play in Japan. This will be of interest to the six of you Yankees fans who obsess about guys like Jonathan Albaladejo.
- Justin Morneau says he’ll be ready for spring training. If he comes back totally raking, I bet his case sets the new standard for concussions. When in doubt, take more time.
- Ohio State beat Michigan for the seventh consecutive time, rendering Rich Rodriguez a dead man walking. Some said that the Buckeyes’ dominance has rendered the rivalry uninteresting. I beg to differ. I believe it would only be enhanced by continued Ohio State dominance. Indeed, it will take at least another 15-20 straight wins before it becomes old for me, I believe. I may be a little biased about this, however.
One week to go until the Winter Meetings start. Here’s hoping every free agent signs between now and Friday. That way I can spend more time riding the Teacup Ride and Space Mountain down at Disney World next week instead of eavesdropping on conversations in the hotel bar while pretending to mess with my phone!
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 69
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 23
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)