Jose Reyes is probably not going anywhere, but the Mets do have an open mind

Nov 29, 2010, 11:30 AM EST

Atlanta Braves v New York Mets Getty Images

A few weeks ago there was a report that the Mets were shopping Jose Reyes.  I could sorta see trading him making sense if the Mets were really intent on blowing it all up and starting over, but most people met that report with skepticism.

Probably deserved skepticism, as Andy Martino reports today that Reyes is more likely than not to begin the 2011 season in the orange white and blue (and occasionally black). But Martino says that the team is openly discussing it in a “never say never” kind of way. “It’s not blasphemy,” he says, even if a trade is unlikely.

Last March Buster Olney took a lot of crap for his report about the Cardinals having “internal discussion” about an Albert Pujols-for-Ryan Howard trade. That was a bit nuts, but I think the issue people had with that was one of tone and the way ESPN subsequently hyped it, not that it was inaccurate reporting. Teams have these kinds of conversations all the time. It should actually make fans feel better that their front office is considering all possibilities, even the unlikely ones.

If I was a Mets fan, I’d want my team to be receptive and prepared in the event they got an offer for Reyes rather than have them predetermined not to trade him.  Same goes for Pujols or any other star.

1. BC - Nov 29, 2010 at 11:38 AM

I wouldn’t just ship him out of town for the sake of shipping him out of town… But if they can grab a couple prime prospects and a major-league major, I’d do it. In a heartbeat. The Mets aren’t winning anything in the next couple years, might as well rebuild. Then when Beltran comes off the books, go spend some money.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 29, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Jeter for Reyes straight up, come on Wilpon, make the deal! :)

2. okobojicat - Nov 29, 2010 at 12:11 PM

“The Mets aren’t winning anything in the next couple years”

This I think is stupid thinking. The starting 8 in Flushing is pretty talented. If they fill in a quality 2B and Pagan plays like he has in limited time the last few years, they are very good. They need to fill in the starting rotation a bit and they’ll be a very talented team that can compete with Phily. Simply punting because the team severely underperformed talent level is a dumb reason to punt. They can compete. They have the talent. They have the money. Go out and spend it.

Maybe not on Cliff Lee, but putting cheap fly ball pitchers in that ball park should be pretty easy.

• BC - Nov 29, 2010 at 12:27 PM

They need to fill in their starting rotation a LOT.
      If I thought I could get Kyle Drabek and a serviceable major league player in return, Reyes is gone.

3. thoran85 - Nov 29, 2010 at 1:06 PM

I could be wrong, but I think the ESPN report last year was that the Phillies were having internal discussions about a Howard for Pujols swap, which mad the report even more ridiculous.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester