Nov 29, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
A few weeks ago there was a report that the Mets were shopping Jose Reyes. I could sorta see trading him making sense if the Mets were really intent on blowing it all up and starting over, but most people met that report with skepticism.
Probably deserved skepticism, as Andy Martino reports today that Reyes is more likely than not to begin the 2011 season in the orange white and blue (and occasionally black). But Martino says that the team is openly discussing it in a “never say never” kind of way. “It’s not blasphemy,” he says, even if a trade is unlikely.
Last March Buster Olney took a lot of crap for his report about the Cardinals having “internal discussion” about an Albert Pujols-for-Ryan Howard trade. That was a bit nuts, but I think the issue people had with that was one of tone and the way ESPN subsequently hyped it, not that it was inaccurate reporting. Teams have these kinds of conversations all the time. It should actually make fans feel better that their front office is considering all possibilities, even the unlikely ones.
If I was a Mets fan, I’d want my team to be receptive and prepared in the event they got an offer for Reyes rather than have them predetermined not to trade him. Same goes for Pujols or any other star.
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 2
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 38
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 59
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 70
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 44
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 30
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)