Nov 29, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
A few weeks ago there was a report that the Mets were shopping Jose Reyes. I could sorta see trading him making sense if the Mets were really intent on blowing it all up and starting over, but most people met that report with skepticism.
Probably deserved skepticism, as Andy Martino reports today that Reyes is more likely than not to begin the 2011 season in the orange white and blue (and occasionally black). But Martino says that the team is openly discussing it in a “never say never” kind of way. “It’s not blasphemy,” he says, even if a trade is unlikely.
Last March Buster Olney took a lot of crap for his report about the Cardinals having “internal discussion” about an Albert Pujols-for-Ryan Howard trade. That was a bit nuts, but I think the issue people had with that was one of tone and the way ESPN subsequently hyped it, not that it was inaccurate reporting. Teams have these kinds of conversations all the time. It should actually make fans feel better that their front office is considering all possibilities, even the unlikely ones.
If I was a Mets fan, I’d want my team to be receptive and prepared in the event they got an offer for Reyes rather than have them predetermined not to trade him. Same goes for Pujols or any other star.
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 21
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 17
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 26
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (101)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)