Nov 29, 2010, 11:30 AM EST
A few weeks ago there was a report that the Mets were shopping Jose Reyes. I could sorta see trading him making sense if the Mets were really intent on blowing it all up and starting over, but most people met that report with skepticism.
Probably deserved skepticism, as Andy Martino reports today that Reyes is more likely than not to begin the 2011 season in the orange white and blue (and occasionally black). But Martino says that the team is openly discussing it in a “never say never” kind of way. “It’s not blasphemy,” he says, even if a trade is unlikely.
Last March Buster Olney took a lot of crap for his report about the Cardinals having “internal discussion” about an Albert Pujols-for-Ryan Howard trade. That was a bit nuts, but I think the issue people had with that was one of tone and the way ESPN subsequently hyped it, not that it was inaccurate reporting. Teams have these kinds of conversations all the time. It should actually make fans feel better that their front office is considering all possibilities, even the unlikely ones.
If I was a Mets fan, I’d want my team to be receptive and prepared in the event they got an offer for Reyes rather than have them predetermined not to trade him. Same goes for Pujols or any other star.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)