Nov 29, 2010, 11:30 AM EST
A few weeks ago there was a report that the Mets were shopping Jose Reyes. I could sorta see trading him making sense if the Mets were really intent on blowing it all up and starting over, but most people met that report with skepticism.
Probably deserved skepticism, as Andy Martino reports today that Reyes is more likely than not to begin the 2011 season in the orange white and blue (and occasionally black). But Martino says that the team is openly discussing it in a “never say never” kind of way. “It’s not blasphemy,” he says, even if a trade is unlikely.
Last March Buster Olney took a lot of crap for his report about the Cardinals having “internal discussion” about an Albert Pujols-for-Ryan Howard trade. That was a bit nuts, but I think the issue people had with that was one of tone and the way ESPN subsequently hyped it, not that it was inaccurate reporting. Teams have these kinds of conversations all the time. It should actually make fans feel better that their front office is considering all possibilities, even the unlikely ones.
If I was a Mets fan, I’d want my team to be receptive and prepared in the event they got an offer for Reyes rather than have them predetermined not to trade him. Same goes for Pujols or any other star.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)